Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you have done if a nurse had taken these kinds of photos of your newborn?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hospital Nurse Mistreated Newborns in Order to Mock Them on Her Blog

Posted by Linda Sharps on June 6, 2012 

When you give birth in a hospital, whether you're ultimately surrounded by doulas or surgical masks, you probably have one basic expectation about your experience: that you and your baby are going to be cared for and treated with respect. At the very least, it's nearly unthinkable to contemplate a medical professional deliberately putting your baby in danger, right?

Imagine, then, how parents in China felt recently when they learned that a practicing intern nurse had been mistreating newborns—in order to take a bunch of obnoxious photos that she subsequently posted to her blog.

Xiao Shiyu, a senior student at the Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, was working as a nurse in a hospital in Hangzhou when for some reason she decided it would be a swell idea to start posing newborns for some less-than-flattering photos. Not only did she decorate one baby's face with paper cutouts to make him look like a pig, she held some of them upright so that their unsupported necks twisted to one side.

It's hard for me to even look at these two images, because I remember how protective I felt about my own babies' weak necks and how carefully I would hold them so they didn't flop around. I can't imagine what this girl was thinking, not just with her actions of taking the photos, but then to upload them to a BLOG—along with zany commentary like, "I almost died laughing!" and "the babies are too small to resist my mischief."

Thankfully, Xiao's internship has since been recalled. Her university has issued a stern statement about the incident, saying she'd violated medical ethics and hospital rules, and that they're now investigating the case and will "punish her accordingly."

As for Xiao, she deleted all the photos and commentary from her online account and has publicly apologized:

I took those pictures because the babies were so adorable. I feel so sorry for damaging the reputation of the hospital and nurses. Please forgive my stupidity. I'll improve myself and offer better service.

She let those babies' heads twist around like that because they were so CUTE? Come on. If I were the parent of one of those newborns, I'd be beyond livid that my child's life had been in the hands of someone so careless and immature. It's hard to say what will happen to Xiao, but it sounds like she's got a LOT of growing up to do before she's trusted again with the responsibility of caring for helpless infants.

What would you have done if a nurse had taken these kinds of photos of your newborn?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM
How did she have that much free time? I'm pretty sure they made it clear in the beginning not to take pictures of anyone without a release being signed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

What I would WANT to do, I probably shouldn't say.  I can not fathom someone being so heartless and stupid!

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh totally this. And at the very least I would be taking legal action against just her and making sure she never worked in the medical field EVER!

Quoting TerriC:

What I would WANT to do, I probably shouldn't say.  I can not fathom someone being so heartless and stupid!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmunchkin24
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Omgosh it hurts my heart to see those two pictures! There is nothing at all cute about them. Poor babies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masonsmommy107
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Wth? The babies are cute but the way there necks are twisted is very disturbing it looks like there hurt the way there little heads are laying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelychaos13
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

yeah, exactly! one would think they would be busy  helping and caring for  the patients, but despite hospital policy in place for many differnt things, unacceptable shit STILL  happens, there is always something happening in hospitals that isnt right no mater if its labor and delivery ward or  any other wards in a hospital.  for us my 1st child was c-section, my 2nd was a vbac. on some level my wishes were disrespected or ignored, interventions not medically nessacary done. now pregnant with my 3rd on the way we have choosen to home birth with a area midwife she respects our wishes 100% and said if there is a medical need arises that she and her assitant can't handle that needs intervention she will advise us to do so and come right with us and not leave our side, also  if we even painic or change our minds during labor she will go with us no matter what. ive gotten etsts thru her and everything is all good , i haven't even seen an ob (applied state insurance but getting the run around for 5 months now, im 100% qualify for it yet getting run around on the  office approving it, there is no reason at all for it to take this long or be this delayed) all tests and readings are normal, and not even nearing posibility of turning high risk (pre-eclampsia gestational diabetes etc.) we had just wanted an ob  for getting an ultrasound, we would like to know the sex before the birth, but as time goes on im starting to not even care about probly wait until the birth to know.  money for giving birth with  our midwife isnt an issue, she wont charge a set fee or even give a number, its whatever we decide and how much we can afford without going into debt or causing financial strain to make ends meet. midwife feels parents should not be burdened with the worry of cost to give birth, she takes money, but also will barter, goods , services, gift cretificates etc.  id mentioned my parents usually have an over flow from their garden, and she said fresh vegtables foods  that even counts to her as payment, my fiance being a computer  tech genius, if their computer breaks down ect his labor on it would be considered payment, giving her books? payment! anything useful she accepts as payment. we are very lucky in finding her as our midwife and her ideas and morals on these things.

Quoting Mipsy:

Oh totally this. And at the very least I would be taking legal action against just her and making sure she never worked in the medical field EVER!

Quoting TerriC:

GordoGirl
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM
That's just awful....I would have not let that go.....that "nurse" needs time n jail....yes ppl make mistakes but come on!!!! When my son was born I was paranoid that the nurses or drs wouldn't have "done something's as good as mommy" but I never imagined anything beyond that...I trusted them....its sad wen u can trust a nurse....that's like saying I can't trust my pastor!!
Mena929
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

That is awful. I would be beyond livid.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Thats just terrible!  I would be so angry!

PrincessZ20
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

That's crazy!  That's just one of so many reasons why we roomed in and didn't send either baby to the nursery....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)