Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Has anyone else kids have a reaction like this to a horse fly bite?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

I had to take my youngest ( 5 years old) to urgent care for some bites and one swelled up a lot. I found out she was bitten by a horse fly and the bite got infected. The infection went into the glands in her armpit so she has to go to her primary doctor tomorrow to have it looked at.

picture of the side to show the swelling

a picture of the area that is swelled...all the red is the swelled area

I just found this info about horsefly bites

http://www.ehow.com/how_4775912_treat-horsefly-bite.html

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

DD has yet to have a bug bite but I hope yours feels better soon.  What is the treatment for a horsefly bite?

robsgurl_23
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I thought it was like a mosquito bite..I thought benadryl spray would be ok but I guess it wasnt. I know when I was littel I have been bitten a bunch of times by horse flies and never had a reaction like that

mommy_2_be_2010
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Op u should've cleaned it with soap and water put hydrocortisone cream on it and covered it up does you daughter have a high fever? If she does er stat because she could die
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Ouch! Hope it gets better fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Wow, thats quite a lump.  I don't have any experience but hope it improves fast.

robsgurl_23
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
I took her to urgent care to be seen. She did have a fever of 104 and the doctor gave her advil for the fever and pain as well as antibiotics which I gave her as soon as we got home. I did give her a bath last night after she was bitten and came inside. I actually put some stuff for bug bites to keep it from getting itchy.

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Op u should've cleaned it with soap and water put hydrocortisone cream on it and covered it up does you daughter have a high fever? If she does er stat because she could die
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

ok ouch ... poor thing.... DD 14 gets the same reaction to mesquito bites.... you did the right thing by cleaning then going to urgent care.......

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

ouch.  I know those horsefly bites hurt but I have not seen swelling like that.  Hope it heals quickly

robsgurl_23
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

today the swelling has gone down some. It is still red and the red area has spread some..I got her to her doctors this morning around 9:30 and he looked at it and I told him what the doctor at urgent care told me and he drew a line where the red area is and told me to watch it and see if it spreads more and if it does he will put her on another antibiotic. She woke up this morning and the area where the swelling is was hurting. I gave her her antibiotic, advil and benadryl and she felt fine a little bit afterward. While at the doctors she asked me can I go to school. I asked her doctor and he said yes she can since she doesnt have any thing contagious..so I said to my daughter yes you can go to school and she got all excited. When we were in the car I told her if she starts to feel yucky and starts to hurt to ask her teacher if she can go to the nurse and the nurse will decide if she needs to be sent home. While I Was in my daughters school library which is what I do on Wednesday I saw my daughters teacher and I talked to her and she said she would check my daughter every once in a while to see how she is feeling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)