Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Do you eat your veggies?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM
  • 12 Replies

Eat your veggies if you want your kids to eat theirs: study 

If you want your kids to eat their vegetables, best lower your voice, put the wagging finger away, and tuck into a salad yourself.

Because after observing different parenting styles of low-income families, researchers found that providing a positive food environment and adopting personal healthy eating habits was more effective than barking out orders or the use of force, rewards or punishments.

The study, which appeared in the May edition of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that parents who persuaded rather than ordered their kids to eat their vegetables had kids with healthier habits.

Similarly, stocking the kitchen with healthy snacks, maintaining regular meal times and taking kids to the grocery store to become engaged with their food are also recommended.

The latest study supports previous research which found that a mother's own eating habits have a big impact on whether her child consumes enough fruits and vegetables. A  study published in 2010 found that a toddler's consumption of fruits and vegetables was proportional to the mother's intake of the same food groups.

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I love veggies!  Eat them all through the day.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Me too.
Can't wait until my garden is full of fresh cucumbers

Quoting TerriC:

I love veggies!  Eat them all through the day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I love veggies!  And thankfully, my kids do too!

Vertical15
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I think mother's who like veggies are more apt to OFFER veggies to begin with then those who don't like them.

I don't know about just because your mom likes them your kids like them.  I was an adult till I ate them regularly and my Mom loves veggies.

I love veggies now. 

mommyjenn84
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Not as much as I would like but more than my husband and always with my kids. My kids are pretty good about eating theirs and actually love things I hated at their age (Brussels sprouts, peas, lima beans ect). My 2yo doesn't like them at all but I will blend carrots, celery and spring mix/spinach into our smoothies and he will drink them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jun. 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM
yes we love them.
Halfpint01
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Love veggies!

karamille
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I have not been able to tolerate many fruits/veggies these last 6 months while I was having all of my abdominal/intestinal issues.  I pretty much have been surviving on simple carbohydrates and solulable fiber foods.  My kids held the course pretty well and kept eating healthy, but they also spend a couple of afternoons a week with my parents who are huge health freaks.   Turns out I had stage 4 endometriosis that was all over my bowel (among all other usual places it was as well) and even had an endo mass all the way up near my liver.  :P  I am 9 days post op and just starting eating fruits/veggies two days ago.  So far so good.  I cannot tell you how much I missed tomatoes, peppers, onions and greens. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Karen2313
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I love all veggies. I eat salad at least 3 or 4 times a week. I also love fruits. My boys do ok. My older son is little more pickier on eating his veggies.

barefootmommi
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I eat allll kinds of veggies I'm a pretty healthy eater actually and my daughter stil won't eat them :( she's 2 and a carb queen I have to hide veggies in baked goods
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN