Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Planning to go see or set off some fireworks?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM
  • 20 Replies

Can fireworks harm kids’ hearing?

Jun 26, 2012 - 08:57 AM
Can fireworks harm kids’ hearing?

The National Institute of Health suggests that exposure to noises over 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. This level is significantly lower than the sound produced by fireworks displays which can exceed 155 decibels. To ensure that your family stays safe during the upcoming fireworks season, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association recommends following these tips:

• Sit at a reasonable distance from the fireworks. Sitting at least 500 feet from the fireworks launch site helps reduce blasts to as little 85 decibels.
  • If you notice your ears start ringing, move further back.
  • Purchase earplugs for the entire family. If sounds start to get to intense, family members can simply pop earplugs in to reduce noise levels to a safe volume.

For more information visit: http://www.asha.org/

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM

We usually set off our own and by that I mean my FIL and husband and some other guys in the neighborhood do the dirty work and the wives and kids sit back and enjoy the show!  We also usually like to use the little ones like the sparklers.

Growing up we weren't allowed to have fireworks so this is new to me.

I try to take my boys to see some whenever I know when and where they will be going off.  My 4yo is sensitive to the noise and doesn't really like them though.  So we usually watch from the car.

TerriC
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My Dad will be here got the 4th!  Yay!  We always do our own.  Nothing too big, just fun enough for the kids.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We will be at our local teams baseball game. they have a pretty good show.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I'm staying clear of all fireworks

Quoting TerriC:

My Dad will be here got the 4th!  Yay!  We always do our own.  Nothing too big, just fun enough for the kids.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Not this year.  Hubby has hit on his days off the past few years, and we've gone to town, but he's got to work the next morning, which means up at 4 or 4:30, and last time we didn't make it home till about 1 AM.

TerriC
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Can't say that I blame you.

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting TerriC:

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Probably not a bad idea ;) How is your leg doing?

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting TerriC:

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM

By some miracle DH and I both managed to get the 5th and the 6th off.

DS always does so well at the city fireworks display and has so much fun. Plus we have a birthday party earlier in the day.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The bruise is gone now and the second layer of skin is off the burn.   I went to the pool yesterday and it was the first day it didn't hurt to have it in the sun

Quoting new_mom808:

Probably not a bad idea ;) How is your leg doing?

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting TerriC:

Vertical15
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Our local team for the city has a pretty good show, too.  We can see them if we just walk up the street, too!

Quoting 2-point-doe:

We will be at our local teams baseball game. they have a pretty good show.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN