Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Could My Son Be Autisitc?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

DS is 3.5 years old. He doesn't seem to understand fully everything that is said to him. His speech isn't clear. He has problems following certain directions, doesn't recognise letters or numbers but can count to 10 and say his ABC's. He hyper focuses on things and talks about them. While he is doing this, he seems to be in his own little world. He can't be redirected or change the subject can't be changed because he doesn't seem to hear when people talk to him until he stops his hyper focusing. Last month our ac stopped working due to a snake getting caught in it. He has been talking almost non stop about acs and what are in things. He also asks why over and over. If you say you don't know, he will ask you why you don't know. It gets very annoying . He rocks from side to side in his bed to go to sleep.

This is a sample of some of the things he does. Could he be autistic?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I would say to have him checked out by a Dr.  There are things that you mentioned that could mean autism, or it could just be he has a busy mind.  I would consult a Dr.  Let us know how things go!  =-)

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I agree.

Quoting TerriC:

I would say to have him checked out by a Dr.  There are things that you mentioned that could mean autism, or it could just be he has a busy mind.  I would consult a Dr.  Let us know how things go!  =-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

He could be, he could be speech delayed. I would talk to your ped.
If it makes you feel better my almost 4 year old also asks "why" non stop. It's just part of the age. He also has following directions that dont interest him, or interfere with what he more interested in. He's just recently started recognizing numbers, and it came out of the blue. One day nothing, the next day all the numbers through 10.  And he still doesnt recognize most letters, even though he can say them all.

Does he rock at other times? I used to rock to fall asleep too, and sometimes still wag my foot.

My point is that some of it is normal and some of it COULD be normal, depending on the severity.

MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Write a little book of the things he dose and says that you find abnormal then show these to your doctor. If they agree that these are abnormal they will have him evaluated.
Cassienka
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Having your child evaluated if you suspect something is NEVER a bad idea! :-) Trust yourself. Also your son could show symptoms for a few issues but you should talk to you Ped about all of them so that A) You don't worry as much and B) So that your sons problems can be addressed to make him feel more comfortable. 

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Get him checked out by a dr. he may or may not be. Better to get started on therapies, if need be, now. Sounds like he needs ST whether autistic or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

If they tell you there isn't much that can be done at this age, RUN, and get another opinion. too may times a mothers concerns are dismissed, when in reality, some help is available to children before they go to preschool.  By the time preschool rolls around, and they havent had any help,  it makes it more difficult. 

rebeccasmly
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I would have him checked out, even if its just to ease your mind. And if there is a problem, you can start working towards helping him. My nephew was the exact same way with what you described. Add anti-social on top of it all. He is now a very normal 9 year old.

Halfpint01
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM

My neice was checked for autism she had all the classis symptoms.  They diagnosed her with sensory disorder and left autism out of it.  Get your boy checked.  Hope it goes in your favor.

Rainiera
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Welcome to Delaware Family Voices
Posted on 7/13/2011 by Delaware Family Voices

Thank you for visiting DE Family Voices: Family to Family Health Information Center. Please take a minute to explore our website. We have a lot of valuable resources and information. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. 302-221-5360

Care of children with special needs can be chronic and complex. Parents and caregivers often struggle to find the resources and services for their child with special health care needs. These needs can be chronic and complex .Delaware Family Voices Family to Family Health Information Center is in a unique position to help families because we are parents who have children/youth and young adults with physical, developmental and mental health challenges. We understand the challenges families face. We have firsthand experience negotiating the maze of health care services and programs in our state. We know the issues you are facing and can help you to make informed decisions to achieve the best outcomes for your family.

We help by supporting families with children with special needs to become informed, experienced, self-sufficient advocates for their children and themselves. There is no charge for the services we provide. We are funded by a federal grant.

For posts like these and more, visit our blog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN