Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Picky eaters

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 2 years old, and though small for his age (only weighs 22 lbs), he is healthy. His height is comparable to other kids his age.  My concern is that he never eats!!!  If it weren't for yogurt and cereal bars, he would probably starve.  He won't eat meat, of any kind.  Not nuggets, not hamburgers, not chicken, not even hot dogs.  We are a healthy family, we strive to eat natural and organic, and rarely eat out.  Maybe have fast food once a month at the most.  We have started giving him PediaSure, just because I fear he is missing out on important vitamins.  The list of things he will eat:

Yogurt (Yo Baby)

Squeezable fruit pouches

Cereal bars

Waffles (sometimes)

PB&J (sometimes)

Bananas

Pasta

Pickles

Grahams

And of course, cookies, cake, ice cream, chips when he gets them. 

When he was in for his 2 year appointment, our doctor was not concerned.  He is in the 3rd percentile for weight.  His dad and I are not big people.  I am barely 5' and dad is about 5'8"

Anyone else ever deal with this?  Suggestions?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

if you figure it out let me know.  We are still trying to get my 6 yo out of her pickiness.  Hers is so extreme that she will only eat certain foods at home but if we get it at a restaurant, she refuses to eat it..  This week she has lived on milk,water, watermelon, bread (no spreads on it at all ),mac n cheese and popcorn.  She did have a few bowls of multigrain cheerios as well.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

If he comes from small stock, his height/weight are proportionate and he's following his own growth chart, then your ped is probably right and there is nothing to worry about.

It's common for kids to be picky, especially at this age. It's also highly common for 2 year olds to not want meat. We didnt push it, just offered and he came around.
The important thing is to not let him eat what he wants out of desperation to get him to eat. 
I would push protiens and iron.
Dried fruit, eggs, spinach and leafy greens, beans.

My son loves black beans and rice, or refried beans with cheese.
raw broccoli
smoothies, with fruit and spinach

Also something to caution you about, one of the common signs of dairy intolerance in small children is lack of weight gain.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM
I agree with Andrea.
Summertime is great for so much fresh produce available. I would just keep the healthy options available and sometimes it does take several tries to get them to try something new.
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FionaOgre
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Thank you for you comment.  He does like things that are good for him, so we will just stick it out!  My other child is 11, and I sort of recall her being picky like this as well.  She would only eat "Miscer weiners."  Oscar Myer Weiners, and there was no tricking her!  She is a healthy girl now, and every year, expands her culinary likes. 

P.S.  My S.O thinks you are awesome because your pic is Ron Paul.

Have a wonderful day.

PrincessZ20
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I agree with the others!  My boys are both on the small side as well - Alex fell off the growth charts completely at one point.  As long as they're proportionate, still growing and meeting their milestones, there's not much need for worry.  Keep offering a variety of foods and he'll get there! 

And especially since both parents are on the smaller side, he'll most likely be on the smaller side as well!

Alyson121
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Fresh fruit smoothies.  My son is 22 months old and ways 25 pounds, never considered him small though.  He LOVES smoothies and will drink those all day.  Fresh fruit is another favorite.  Yogurt is good one as well.  I've found that he's a "social" eater.  Meaning, he'll eat more when he's sitting on my lap or his dad's lap vs if he's in his baby chair.  If i make him an almond butter and fruit spread sandwich he won't eat it BUT if i'm eating one, then he'll eat half of mine.  LOL.  The same goes with meals i've prepared.  The only thing he ates in his chair is oatmeal.  He seems to LOVE home cooked oatmeal.  

Dried fruit is another suggestion.  We keep raisins, dates, dried apple rings, etc on hand because all my children love those.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)