Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Febril Seizure

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyones child ever had one of these? How did you react to it? My son had one on Friday was the scariest thing I have ever gone through. I was laying down next to him when it happened, I looked at him and he looked like he couldnt breathe, his eyes wide open not moving i panicked and called 9-1-1...screaming , crying, not knowing what to do..while my grandma and great grandma were with him, trying to cool him down I was screaming at the operator not not knowing what to do..until the paramedics got there they calmed me down...i really thought my baby boy was dead..I had never in my life seen something to scary..im traumatized now :/

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I have never even heard of one.  How is he now?  So sorry you had such a scary experience.

smile613
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Yea its common in infants and toddlers from 6 months to 6 years or so. When they get a high fever of about 102. My son started of just feeling warm i thought was from the heat since he was fine playing laughing being his usual self. Until Thursday he felt really warm and wouldnt eat as much and wasnt to happy, yet he was playful still. I took his temp was at 100.2 so i gave him bath and medicine ..then Friday he was not himself at all he wouldnt want to do anything i called the doctor office the medical assistants said if it continues bring him Monday , and just to keep him cool..i had a feeling something was wrong he just was not himself..and i wanted to bring him to emergency room but i waited to see if it would go down..next thing i know he had a seizure and i they said he had gone to 102.6...i feel guilty i should of just gone to ER and follow my instincts.. hes better now he just has a rash . this rash happens after the fever its called Roseola.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness; I would be terrified. I'm so glad she's okay.

Halfpint01
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I havn't but my good friend has.  He had a fever so high that when they put him in the tub to cool him down, they did it to quickly.  The drastic change in temp caused him to seize.  He was somewhere around 2 I think.

mommyjenn84
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM
My dd gets them. We actually think she May be having another form now too and she has an eeg two Weeks from today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mzshird41907
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
yes and they can be do scary!! I have been in your shoes literally screaming and crying on the phone. Don't beat yourself up about it. You know you would never do anything to hurt your child. Hope everything is going well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Thankfully I haven't been through one.  My oldest gets periodic fevers, since he was 2 and he is 9 now.  They average around 104 but we have seen 105 already. 

I'm sure I would freak out if one of my kids had one as well.

I hope your little guy is doing well now.

MELRN
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

for future make sure you always have in your refridgerator correct weight based tylenol suppository and know how to give it...    

febrile seizures are common in children under 5...it is not related to how hot they are but how fast they get there a jump in temp of more then 2 degrees in 30 minutes will be the trigger  and that goes both ways (going up or comin down)

so you need to be ever mindful of illness .... you should have thermometer and know how to check a rectal temp.... with that history any rectal temp over 100.6 should be treated  and ask questions later....

I am always amazed at what is not taught to parents in the maternity ward or at their pediatricians office :(  

NananRaysmom
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Both my kids had a few when they were younger. It scared me everytime even though I knew they were not dangerous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

How scary!  I've never had to deal with it, but I have several friends who have.  I hope he's doing okay now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)