Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Developmental evaluations

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 18 Replies
What can I expect from one?? Allie is 4 years old. Her dr is concerned that she still can't grasp things tightly or pick up small items. He's also concerned that she still falls constantly and can't stand on one leg.

She can write and climb with no problems...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicholy10
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I'm not really sure, but wanted to wish you luck. My son is having developmental evaluations the end of this month. He has a speech delay, is aggressive (toward self/others), and has some social delays. His therapist believe he may have a sensory processing disfunction. She's doing the developmental evaluations to see if he would qualify for an IEP at the local preschool so he can continue speech therapy and begin occupational therapy. He currently gets speech and social skills therapy with birth to 3 program. Good luck and don't worry!!

PrincessZ20
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM

We've only done speech evaluations.  They're pretty easy!  We met with someone who asked me lots of questions, and then would ask the boys to try something. 

Good luck!!

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM
They're gonna have you fill out packets of stuff and ask you lots of questions, then they will do a bunch of different play activities with your dd. Do you know who is doing the evaluation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Who's doing it?  The one we had at the school was a joke.  =/

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM
The childrens hospital is doing it. She's had speech and feeding evals but never a developmental
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

The childrens hospital is doing it. She's had speech and feeding evals but never a developmental

Good!  The eval that Ike had done at the hospital's developmental pedatric department, they asked a lot of questions, a lot of questionaires,  They did do hands on with him, but not as much as I would have thought.  I don't mean that in a bad way... I think they got everything they needed.  Then they ordered tests to go along with what they found.  So for Ike, he got an neuro consult and some blood work that effected nerves. 

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We've never had one but I wish you the best.

Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I know what I suspect. I think she has a sensory processing disorder of some kind. Food textures bother her, I have to get tag less clothes for her, if they have tags I have to actually open the seam and remove it. Cutting it off doesn't work. Noises bother her bad, like we took her to the raceway before we knew, even with sound cancelling ear protectors, she freaks. We can't have the radio on in the car. If she plays with my iPad the sound has to be at the lowest setting...

The fine and gross motor stuff sent me for a loop. She can write legibly and climb, dance, all with no problems. As I tell her pedi, she falls because she's pigeon toed on one side
Quoting karamille:

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Good!  The eval that Ike had done at the hospital's developmental pedatric department, they asked a lot of questions, a lot of questionaires,  They did do hands on with him, but not as much as I would have thought.  I don't mean that in a bad way... I think they got everything they needed.  Then they ordered tests to go along with what they found.  So for Ike, he got an neuro consult and some blood work that effected nerves. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Thank you

Quoting Vertical15:

We've never had one but I wish you the best.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I'm going through evals with my 4 year old. Good luck Mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)