Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son on Spectrum on Liquid Diet

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello I have a 10 year old son on the spectrum. I'm a single mom and I have raised him with the help of his 15 year old sister. Life can be pretty tough at times. I wanted to join this group because my son has "put" himself on a liquid diet. At first, he choked and that made him afraid to eat. He had dental surgery on June 29th and now claims the holes in his mouth won't allow him to chew. He hasn't eaten anything solid since June. The doctors are baffled. There is nothing physically wrong with him. I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this problem. Just curious!!

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Replies (11-12):
HopeBlack
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Yes, it was the choking episode that led to him not eating. He was afraid that he would die. Then he had dental surgery on June 29th. Now he says he can not eat because he has gaps in his mouth(they had to remove 4 of his teeth). This was not planned initially; but, that's what happened once the surgeon re-examined his teeth. So, we are battling this little issue. School is getting ready to start and I am terrified!!

PrincessZ20
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TerriC:

That is what I was going to suggest; blended food.  Good with everything and let us know how he progresses!

That's my suggestion as well, blend it then gradually make it chunkier - good luck, I hope you figure something out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)