Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

skin rash on torso

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:06 AM
  • 8 Replies

my ten year old started to have a rash above his belly button...it is not itching ,no blisters,skin is not elevated...he has no other symptoms  like fever or aches /pains...i am not aware of any mosquito bites  etc ...it spread since yesterday....i just goggled every single image of skin rashes online (starting to itch myself ..ugh)... any ideas?suggestions?....and no go see a doctor doesn`t really help...he usually never ever has any skin issues so iam thinking /hoping it`s just an allergic reaction

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TerriC
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

It does sound like an allergic reaction.  Have you changed detergents or anything recently?

hwifeandmom
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I would treat it as if it were an allergic reaction, then see the doctor if it didn't improve.  If it's itchy, Benadryl is helpful for the itch as well as the allergic reaction. You may want to try a 24-hr allergy med in addition to Benadryl.  It's okay to use them together.  When my kids have had a strong allergic reaction, the doctor always has us use both allergy meds, to provide a stronger treatment response.  (My local $1 store sells generic Benadryl and generic Zyrtec, so you can get the meds inexpensively.)

TracyBryant
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM
bump

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM

have you tried caladryl for the itching? Or oatmeal baths?  it's much more effective for dermatitis than having to take  a medication that has to go thru your bloodstream, not to mention side effects of unneeded medication. Is it hot where you live? Maybe it's just a prickly heat rash. 

karamille
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it lacey?  Is it scratchy like sandpaper?  Does he have seasonal allergies?  I would try giving him a dose of childrens benadryl and see if it fades.  If it does, its an allergy.  If it doesn't fade, its something else - viral, illness driven, etc...

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Could be heat rash?

mollysmom212
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

yes he used my shower gel prior to that ...that seemed  most likely to me to be the cause

Quoting TerriC:

It does sound like an allergic reaction.  Have you changed detergents or anything recently?

mollysmom212
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

think its easier to answer in one reply then to answer each individually ..thank you for all the replies ...we live in savannah so yes it is pretty  hot but thats all the time so i don`t think that is it ...looked at pictures of a heatrash  and those looked like fluid filled little blisters not like his rash..he did use my showergel prior to the rash so iam thinking most likely that it is  an allergic reaction since there are no other symptoms...we did use benadryl spray but it didn`t seem to make much of a difference....used a hydrocortizone cream today after showering and the redness got better..hasn`t spread since yesterday so iam hoping that will do the trick..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)