Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

I think my 8 month old baby has cavities!!! :-(

I noticed the other day my son has dark spots on almost all of his teeth.  I have wiped them at least once (most days twice) a day since he got his first bottom teeth (he now has 8).  I don't want to wipe them too much because he's teething and i don't want to be too rough, but I think twice a day is normal, right?  The only thing is, he ate every 3 hours even through the night until he was 7 months old, and I did not wipe them at night, so he slept with the milk on his teeth (I know this is advised against, but I just did not have the energy to wipe his teeth after every middle of the night feeding).  I'm worried that his teeth are rotting!  Has this happened to anyone?  I have an appointment with the pediatric dentist already scheduled but I feel horrible in the mean time! :-(

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
corrinacs
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Hey mama,

Ive never wpied my kid's mouths when they were infants after each feeding.  I didn't know you were supposed to!

Its possible that he may have issues, but it probably isn't from neglect at this point.  Sounds like he may have issues with his teeth.  If it concerns you, see the dentist for a checkup.

PrincessZ20
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MommyCakes1122:

UPDATE!!!  The dentist said all the dark spots are stains from his formula, except one which he's not sure if it might be a cavity...he said to bring him back in 3 months for a checkup

That's good news!  I know some people are just more prone to cavities - they run in my family for sure.  Glad everything looks good though!

Vertical15
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I hope you get good news in three months.  Thanks for updating us. 

Dorothy2011
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Does he fall asleep with bottle in his mouth and hold it throughout the night? If so, the he might have got bottle rot. The milk sat in his mouth all night and decayed his tooth. Take him to the dentist and get it checked out. It’s better to take care of it now than let it turn into a rotten tooth. 

aneela
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM

hope you got it sorted

mamabear32123
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM

A similar situation happened with my daughter.  I felt awful and her dentist made me feel bad because I too didnt clean her teeth after night breastfeeding sessions since we co-slept. She ended up having only one small cavity and they wanted to cap her tooth!! I thought this would be traumatizing to her as I had read other horror stories about other babies having that done :(   So i searched and searched for a different possibilty and I found this stuff called Mother Nature's Toothpaste for babies and children (they also have an adult toothpaste so be careful if you get it). But I seriously could not believe the results. I just tried it out of desperation but now she uses it still. Her tooth is no longer discolored or decaying it just...got better lol. It was like magic. I'd try that first if they want him to have anything serious done... (I realize you posted this awhile back but i hope this is in time!!!! Good luck best wishes)

frndlyfn
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

You may want to get a baby brush instead of wiping.  The bristles are a bit more abrasive but will not hurt his teeth or gums.

MamaBear2cubs
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

My kids both have spots on their teeth that look like cavities but are not. Take her in and get her checked out. She might have issues with her teeth.

slw123
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I'm glad you took him in and that it was just stains (I never heard of that either though).  There are little finger brushes that you use on your babies teeth, you might want to look for one.  It's soft and rubbery, but has little bristles that will get his teeth clean.

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Hopefully you can get some answers from the dentist.  My kids ate during the night even after they had teeth and never had a problem so hopefully it isn't cavities from that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN