Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 5 1/2 year old son is quite underweight :-(

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 5.5 year old son, with a 3'11'' height and a weight of 37.5 pounds only. I think according to the average BMI, he is underweight as per his height. He has an average diet, but seems he is not putting on weight according to that. Suggest me a good diet chart for him.

He has a lever issue. He once had this enlarged lever thing, when he was hospitalized for 5 days. Is that the cause behind his not gaining weight?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I normally say not to worry too but her son is 7 inches taller than your and the same weight so hes significantly smaller

Quoting rebeccasmly:

My nearly 6.5 year old weighs 37 pounds and is 40 inches. He has stayed on the same curve for the most part. He had eating problems as a newborn/ infant which we finally got under control when he was roughly 9 months old. He continues to have small problems due to his numerous allergies. I wouldn't worry too much unless there is a major change in his growth curve.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

rebeccasmly
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I did it poorly but I was trying to make the growth curve the point. My son has always been on the low end but there has been no concerns by the doctors because he remains of his "normal" growth curve. Is the OPs child remaining on his "normal" growth curve or is there a drastic change in it? That is the main thing looked at by our doctor when determining things. Such as additional testing a few years back when he wasn't on his growth curve.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I normally say not to worry too but her son is 7 inches taller than your and the same weight so hes significantly smaller

Quoting rebeccasmly:

My nearly 6.5 year old weighs 37 pounds and is 40 inches. He has stayed on the same curve for the most part. He had eating problems as a newborn/ infant which we finally got under control when he was roughly 9 months old. He continues to have small problems due to his numerous allergies. I wouldn't worry too much unless there is a major change in his growth curve.

JocelynsMama1
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I agree watching the growth curve is the most important thing thats what we watch for my dd as well because shes so tiny...but id be interested in seeing a picture of her child....those measurements sound way too far apart it sounds like he is way too skinny for his height like to the point of needing to be checked out by a dr adn nutritionist

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I did it poorly but I was trying to make the growth curve the point. My son has always been on the low end but there has been no concerns by the doctors because he remains of his "normal" growth curve. Is the OPs child remaining on his "normal" growth curve or is there a drastic change in it? That is the main thing looked at by our doctor when determining things. Such as additional testing a few years back when he wasn't on his growth curve.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

rebeccasmly
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Very true. It has taken my son 2 years to get back on his growth curve with his weight gain happening in just the last 6-9 months. My son has been watched though. He looked fine in pictures when dressed but in his swim suit, you can really tell a difference, just like my older son who has celiac's. He looks horribly ill but its because of the celiac's. Which is another thing that can be looked into. Most celiac's will be small and have a hard time putting on weight. Height wise my son is normal but there is a huge difference between that and his weight.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I agree watching the growth curve is the most important thing thats what we watch for my dd as well because shes so tiny...but id be interested in seeing a picture of her child....those measurements sound way too far apart it sounds like he is way too skinny for his height like to the point of needing to be checked out by a dr adn nutritionist

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting rebeccasmly:

bebe_ju-rah
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM
My 7 year old niece is only 39lbs and she is 4'0". She is underweight as well but healthy. My sil makes sure she drinks pediasure every morning and packs her lunch with fatty foods (dr's orders). My dd is 4'0 also and is 5.5 years old. She weighs 49lbs and also very healthy. Kids are different-doesn't mean they aren't healthy. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

that dosent sound too bad...

my 6 yo is 49' and 40lbs

my 4 yo is 43in and 30lbs...

DomsMom8207
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM
First does your pedi know this? And what does he/she say? If not you need to make an appt asap! Second my niece was like that she looked like a starved child she was super skinny but ate like a pig lol, she was like that at about the age of 5 and just now is startibg to put on weight. Shes 11 now so if ur pedi isnt concerned then just be patient also u should give her those pediassure drinks or whatever their called. Those help with the nutrition part.

toddler boy

Vertical15
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I wouldn't worry if this is his normal growth curve.  I would bring it up to his Dr if you are concerned. 

I know for me I would be concerned because for example my 2yo weighs 35lbs-he was also 9.8lbs at birth.  I have big boys but they are growing right along their own growth curve.  (My husband and I are also bigger people and DH is 6'2)

miac1234
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:40 AM

His BMs are normal. Haven't contacted any Pedi since long time. He eats well for his age. I even give him pediasure twice a day (4 spoon full). He does complaint for stomach-ache frequently. I have even tried de-worming. He also has problems taking sound sleep.

miac1234
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

My 7 year old niece is only 39lbs and she is 4'0". She is underweight as well but healthy. My sil makes sure she drinks pediasure every morning and packs her lunch with fatty foods (dr's orders). My dd is 4'0 also and is 5.5 years old. She weighs 49lbs and also very healthy. Kids are different-doesn't mean they aren't healthy. :)

Can you tell me what does the doctor adviced to include in her daily meals?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)