Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 5 1/2 year old son is quite underweight :-(

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 5.5 year old son, with a 3'11'' height and a weight of 37.5 pounds only. I think according to the average BMI, he is underweight as per his height. He has an average diet, but seems he is not putting on weight according to that. Suggest me a good diet chart for him.

He has a lever issue. He once had this enlarged lever thing, when he was hospitalized for 5 days. Is that the cause behind his not gaining weight?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Replies (21-30):
miac1234
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:46 AM

BUMP!

bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Nuts, peanut butter, avacado, pasta, bagels/breads, dried fruit, cereal (not overly sugary), cheeses, etc.

Oh and she adds olive oil to pretty much anything she cooks.

Quoting miac1234:

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

My 7 year old niece is only 39lbs and she is 4'0". She is underweight as well but healthy. My sil makes sure she drinks pediasure every morning and packs her lunch with fatty foods (dr's orders). My dd is 4'0 also and is 5.5 years old. She weighs 49lbs and also very healthy. Kids are different-doesn't mean they aren't healthy. :)

Can you tell me what does the doctor adviced to include in her daily meals?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting miac1234:

His BMs are normal. Haven't contacted any Pedi since long time. He eats well for his age. I even give him pediasure twice a day (4 spoon full). He does complaint for stomach-ache frequently. I have even tried de-worming. He also has problems taking sound sleep.

I would definitely make an appointment with the pedi.  If he's complaining of frequent stomach aches and not gaining weight, I'd guess the two are possibly linked. 

He could have problems dairy or gluten, or, as someone else mentioned, it could be Celiac disease, or even something else entirely. 

Good luck, I hope you get some answers!

Jadegirl1819
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

You really need to talk with his doctor.  I'm guessing you mean he has a liver issue and that's something  you really need to get more information about... from the doctor.

Jadegirl1819
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

De-worming?  What?

Quoting miac1234:

His BMs are normal. Haven't contacted any Pedi since long time. He eats well for his age. I even give him pediasure twice a day (4 spoon full). He does complaint for stomach-ache frequently. I have even tried de-worming. He also has problems taking sound sleep.

Aamy
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Liver you mean ?? Could be. Talk to his Dr. My dd is on meds that make her not gain weight. We give her the pedisure shake things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
De worming ??? Wtf ??

Quoting miac1234:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
housemommyto2
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Both of my DDs have Celiac. We didnt know this for a while. They are small too and underweight.

DD 10: 48" and 42lbs. She just gained those two but is sick again so I hope we dont lose them.

DD 6:  44" and 34lbs. She is a little thicker and healthier looking.

slw123
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I would find out what the pediatrician recommends you do.

minimo77
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Very true. It has taken my son 2 years to get back on his growth curve with his weight gain happening in just the last 6-9 months. My son has been watched though. He looked fine in pictures when dressed but in his swim suit, you can really tell a difference, just like my older son who has celiac's. He looks horribly ill but its because of the celiac's. Which is another thing that can be looked into. Most celiac's will be small and have a hard time putting on weight. Height wise my son is normal but there is a huge difference between that and his weight.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I agree watching the growth curve is the most important thing thats what we watch for my dd as well because shes so tiny...but id be interested in seeing a picture of her child....those measurements sound way too far apart it sounds like he is way too skinny for his height like to the point of needing to be checked out by a dr adn nutritionist

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I did it poorly but I was trying to make the growth curve the point. My son has always been on the low end but there has been no concerns by the doctors because he remains of his "normal" growth curve. Is the OPs child remaining on his "normal" growth curve or is there a drastic change in it? That is the main thing looked at by our doctor when determining things. Such as additional testing a few years back when he wasn't on his growth curve.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I normally say not to worry too but her son is 7 inches taller than your and the same weight so hes significantly smaller

Quoting rebeccasmly:

My nearly 6.5 year old weighs 37 pounds and is 40 inches. He has stayed on the same curve for the most part. He had eating problems as a newborn/ infant which we finally got under control when he was roughly 9 months old. He continues to have small problems due to his numerous allergies. I wouldn't worry too much unless there is a major change in his growth curve.

Would you be able to give me more info on the celiacs' being small and weigh less thing you were mentioning? My dd is pretty skinny and small and I have wondered about celiacs but she dosnt have all the things I have been told to watch out for (do you have a symptoms list I could go through again?) Thanks. SOmetimes I get mad when people say my dd is "wayyy to skinny" I think she is, but not to the point of those type comments lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)