Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 5 1/2 year old son is quite underweight :-(

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 5.5 year old son, with a 3'11'' height and a weight of 37.5 pounds only. I think according to the average BMI, he is underweight as per his height. He has an average diet, but seems he is not putting on weight according to that. Suggest me a good diet chart for him.

He has a lever issue. He once had this enlarged lever thing, when he was hospitalized for 5 days. Is that the cause behind his not gaining weight?

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
miac1234
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Thank you..I appreciate your help.

miac1234
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Deworming the human parasites (hookworm, tapeworm, roundworm, etc.)by giving a prescribed medicine. He has a sweet tooth and eats loads of sweets and chocolates.

miac1234
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Deworming the human parasites (hookworm, tapeworm, roundworm, etc.)by giving a prescribed medicine. He has a sweet tooth and eats loads of sweets and chocolates.

Quoting Aamy:

De worming ??? Wtf ??

Quoting miac1234:

His BMs are normal. Haven't contacted any Pedi since long time. He eats well for his age. I even give him pediasure twice a day (4 spoon full). He does complaint for stomach-ache frequently. I have even tried de-worming. He also has problems taking sound sleep.

Aamy
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Ok understand the meds part, but your the parent limit how much sweets he gets.

Quoting miac1234:

Deworming
the human parasites (hookworm, tapeworm, roundworm, etc.)by giving a
prescribed medicine. He has a sweet tooth and eats loads of sweets and
chocolates.

Quoting Aamy:

De worming ??? Wtf ??

Quoting miac1234:

His BMs are normal. Haven't contacted any Pedi since long time. He eats well for his age. I even give him pediasure twice a day (4 spoon full). He does complaint for stomach-ache frequently. I have even tried de-worming. He also has problems taking sound sleep.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM
I'm a different poster, not the op, but I have seen 2 of you ask about tummy aches... My dd is 6, very thin... Lately she has said her tummy hurts a lot.

Quoting Apple1:

How long has it been since your little one gained weight?  How is his sleeping at night?  What kinds of foods is he eating currently and does he complain of an upset stomach?  Also, how are his BM's...lf he is having some liver issues, he could be having some digestive issues as well?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM

What does his Doctor suggest?

mrswillie
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I suggest talking to his doctor about it

Apple1
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Quote:

I'm a different poster, not the op, but I have seen 2 of you ask about tummy aches... My dd is 6, very thin... Lately she has said her tummy hurts a lot.

Sometimes this can be from food allergies (wheat, gluten, diary)  also, probiotics can help with digestion and absorbtion.  We give them to our son and they have really helped.  You can PM me if you have more questions.

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM

my son is 5 tomorrow, about 45" and 39lbs. Is yours son's pedi worried about his weight?

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM

has she always been very thin? It may be normal for her.
Start her on a probiotic; it will help with digestion and wont do any harm.
Weight loss or inability to gain, and stomach pains are often symptoms of lactose intolerance. Try eliminating all dairy (read labels too) and see how she does.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

Quoting Apple1:

How long has it been since your little one gained weight?  How is his sleeping at night?  What kinds of foods is he eating currently and does he complain of an upset stomach?  Also, how are his BM's...lf he is having some liver issues, he could be having some digestive issues as well?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN