Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Need recipe ideas with no dairy

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM
  • 18 Replies
My daughter has been having health issues and her doctor wanted us to try no dairy for 10 days to see if she improved. So far it has been a little bit better. But she is almost 14 months old and still breastfeeding. I am struggling to find food to eat and feed my daughter....especially since my 3.5 year old loves cheese and yogurt and eats it in front of her :( so I really need some great ideas....I feel like the poor girl gets spaghetti and toast all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, hemp milk. There's a soy yogurt and coconut yogurt out there. Do probiotics, that will help give the good gut flora and enzymes typically given in yogurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Stuffed peppers
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crock-pot-pork-stuffed-peppers/#axzz24mwnYbaV

That's hard. We are HUGE cheese eaters here.

egyptian_mommy
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with looking into alternatives. Almond milk is pretty good. Maybe give her applesauce instead of yogurt, maybe avocado instead of cheese. You can do stir fry, chicken, fish, beans... My friend's 20 month old daughter is dairy free, I can ask her for suggestions if you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linz0522
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas. That would be great....I am at a loss on what to do because as of right now I don't feel like either of us is eating a very balanced diet :(

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

I agree with looking into alternatives. Almond milk is pretty good. Maybe give her applesauce instead of yogurt, maybe avocado instead of cheese. You can do stir fry, chicken, fish, beans... My friend's 20 month old daughter is dairy free, I can ask her for suggestions if you want.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
t4w
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Smart Balance Light Butter is non dairy,

you can try almond milk as a milk substitute

the almond yogurt is also good, find it at natural food stores, and add fruit

remember that if you eat dairy, it will come through, so to speak; in your breast milk. You will likely get THE BEST result for her if YOU cut dairy out as well.

Banana bread (my recipie is made w/ shortening) Let me know if you want more info.

frndlyfn
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/

Classic Meatloaf

By , About.com Guide

Classic Meatloaf

This classic meatloaf recipe is so moist and flavorful that you'd never guess it's dairy-free!

© 2008 Ashley Skabar, licensed to About.com, Inc.

This dairy-free recipe variation of the home-cooking classic is a favorite among both kids and adults, especially when served with dairy-free creamy mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy.

Make one 9" x 5" meatloaf

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • ½ cup ketchup
  • 1 T. and 1 t. Worcestershire sauce, divided
  • 1 ½ lbs. lean ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 ½ t. salt
  • ¼ t. black pepper
  • ½ cup plain unsweetened plain almond milk or soymilk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • ¾ cup panko bread crumbs

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9” x 5” loaf pan.

2. Using your fingers, press the brown sugar evenly into the oiled loaf pan. Combine the ketchup with the 1 t. Worcestershire sauce and spread this over the brown sugar.

3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, garlic, salt and pepper until well combined. Add the remaining 1 T. Worcestershire sauce, almond milk or soymilk, eggs and panko bread crumbs, stirring until mixture just holds together. Press the mixture into the shape of a loaf and press into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through. Serve hot.

mrswillie
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

My kids loved apple sauce! Also, things like spaghetti, chicken noodle soup, dishes made with rice 

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

Vertical15
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hmm I've also got nothing new to add.  My 4yo is sensitive to dairy and we swtiched him to almond milk and that helps him but he can have small amounts without issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN