Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Need recipe ideas with no dairy

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter has been having health issues and her doctor wanted us to try no dairy for 10 days to see if she improved. So far it has been a little bit better. But she is almost 14 months old and still breastfeeding. I am struggling to find food to eat and feed my daughter....especially since my 3.5 year old loves cheese and yogurt and eats it in front of her :( so I really need some great ideas....I feel like the poor girl gets spaghetti and toast all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Replies (11-18):
MELRN
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM

all your local grown produce

scrambled eggs

raisins

axe the toast b/c if it has whey it then it is dairy--

dried fruits

buy meat local (from a butcher)

new_mom808
by Andrea on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Slow Cooker Beef Stew – inspired by many - print, make and warm your body from the inside out

• 2 lbs of stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 medium sized onions, chopped into large pieces
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • about 20 mini-potatoes, cut large ones in half, leave smallest ones as is (I like to use a mix of yellow, red and blue, no need to peel)
  • 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes (I use plum tomatoes)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 3 cups sodium reduced beef broth, divided
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then lightly brown the meat in batches. Transfer browned beef to a plate and set aside.

Dump the tomatoes into the slow cooker (juice and all). Crush them with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. Add the onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the vegetables and then add the beef and any accumulated drippings. Pour 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth over the beef and vegetables. Give the mixture a quick stir. Add the bay leaves.

Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas (no need to defrost first), salt and pepper. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth, creating a smooth paste. Stir into the stew. Replace the slow cooker cover and cook until thickened (about 15-20 minutes).

Remove the bay leaves before serving.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

1 pound frozen cheese tortellini
    1 cup shelled edamame* (we used lima beans instead)
    1 cup diced red pepper
    1 pound smoked sausage
    1/2 cup Italian dressing

Directions

1. Set 6 quarts of salted water to boil in a large pot.
  2. Meanwhile, chop red pepper and slice the smoked sausage into 1/4 inch-thick rounds.
  3. Stir-fry red pepper and sausage together until heated through -- about 5 minutes.
  4. Add tortellini to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Add edamame to water and boil for another 2 minutes. Drain tortellini and edamame well.
  6. Toss everything together with the Italian dressing and heat through one final time.
diapersnob
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Yoplait makes a lactose free yogurt that my kids love. They eat it every day. They also drink lactose free milk. String cheese (skim) is ok in small doses. Usually I give them a half stick each. We also eat gluten free as often as possible to avoid the whey. Breakfast is usually cereal or gluten free pancakes and eggs and bacon. Lunch might be 8-10 turkey pepperonis or a beef corn dog or a bean burrito or chicken strips or diced ham, half a string cheese or yogurt (mentioned above), apple or banana or grapes or raisins, etc, cucumber or carrots or celery or pickles or peas. Dinner is often tacos or pizza with little to no cheese or pork chops or meat loaf or spaghetti or soup or steak or chicken or eggs/bacon etc, veggies, mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes or rice, crackers or sour dough bread. We can't do stews or casseroles because my autistic son can't have one food touching another, but I often use cream of celery soup as a creamy base for items that need it (like casseroles). I know this can be overwhelming. Hope these ideas help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiwipez
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I agree with the no dairy for you as well. My daughter was born with a milk protein and a soy allergy. I was dairy free for 15 months, ugh!! We ended up using rice milk. Thankfully she
eventually outgrew the allergy.
PrincessZ20
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Like others have said, there are some great dairy alternatives out there!  When using many of them in cooking, you can't even tell a difference in the taste :)

Good luck!!

PrincessZ20
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

This is a favorite in my house...if you don't have a waffle iron, you can just saute flattened balls in a frying pan or something :)

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Grilled-Falafel-Recipezaar

ardiaxe
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Corn tortilla with soy cheese quesadilla, flour tortilla dipped in refried black beans, lentils, whole black beans, coconut based yogurts and icecream, avocados, chopped and a bit of salt sprinkled on top. I did a ton of meats, my daughter had like 2 teeth at 14 months but could handle tiny peices of steak, hotdogs, pâté, ground beef. I just gave single ingredient meals, I also did brown rice pastas for a more wholesome meal. So a typical meal was chopped meat, a vegetable, and a pasta :). The health issues may be related to gluten too, maybe look into that as well.
I've been there done that. My daughter grew out of it by 18 months and I was on a strict vegan diet (I'm already a vegetarian) while breastfeeding. I introduced dairy by giving her foods that had it cooked into it. Cooked dairy is much less allergenic. Once she did well with that, it was cheese, and then milk which she hates, so she drinks water.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)