Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My Daycare Serves Non-Perishable Foods

Posted by   + Show Post

I found out today that the daycare my daughter attends servings almost all non-perishable foods for breakfast, lunch and snack. All fruit is canned, the lunches are canned (spaghetti, soup, etc), and the breakfasts are frozen Ego waffles or dry cereal. I've been packing bottles with breastmilk and her pureed foods that I make at home, so I hadn't looked at the menu until today to see if she could start to eat what they are serving. I was so upset and disappointed to find out that the quality of food is so low. This is my first child, so I don't know if this is normal or not, but I can't have my child eating canned and frozen prepared meals like that.  Today would have been canned peaches, frozen waffles, canned spaghetti and meatballs, and goldfish crackers. Every once in a while would be fine, but not regularly. The sodium content is way too high and is serving a fresh piece of fruit too much to ask?  So, I guess I will continue to fix her foods at home and send them with her. Has anyone else had this problem? Are all daycares like this?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Replies (11-18):
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM

chances are the food is provided by the fed gov for the food program, that way the daycare doesn't have to shell out for anything, even fresh foods.   Pretty gross, imo, that a daycare would provide less than nutritious foods, and most likely it is all GMO foods too..

PrincessZ20
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Alex's school provides their lunches - they seems to serve a mix.  They have a fair amount of stuff like spaghetti-os or frozen fish sticks, but they do serve salad and/or fresh fruit with each meal. 

The kids tend a small vegetable garden and often get to eat veggies they've grown themselves :)

Vertical15
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never sent my kids to daycare but I would just keep sending my own homemade meals then.

egyptian_mommy
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM
That does seem like a bit much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I am a little late seeing this, but I thought I would reply anyway.  What did you end up deciding to do?

We had this problem when my first daughter reached to toddler stage.  Like you, we made all our own baby food and finger foods.  When it was time to transition her to the toddler room, where they provide the meals, I then realized that the daycare I LOVED served horribly unhealthy foods.  The provider was very accommodating though, and completely understood that I chose not to give her processed foods at such a young age.  I had decided that I was going to continue to make all her food.  The only thing I worried about was her feeling "different" if all the other kids were eating the same thing except for her.  I thought maybe I would make her things that were similar, but healthier, to whatever was on the menu for the day.  

However, we ended up moving daycares just before she was transitioned, and the new place we found served healthy, home-cooked, fresh meals the majority of the time.  She still got the occasinal processed item, but overall it was much better.

HairClipQueen
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Wow!  You all are such AWESOME MAMA'S.   I pack both my girls lunches for school and I bake homemade healthy items baked with whole wheat and use the fruits and veggies from the garden.  I don't allow my girls to have processed foods other than once in a blue moon a box of KD.  I pack 2-3 varity of Fruits and one veggie per day, yogurt with probiotics in them, full meal; homemade chicken noodle soup, stews, pasta, hamburgers, bagles with creme cheese, tuna sandwiches, pizza buns.  And on fridays they are allowed a goodie from the bakery, ie; doughnut.  I have packed sunchips in instead of reg. chips They also like real cheese sticks, (non-processed), whole wheat crackers.  I've do give them boxed granola bars with the yogurt and fruit in them, or the chocolate chunk as a treat.  I've actually have an apple tree growing right now and I am thinking of growing peaches and cherries so in the long run my girls can have more fresh fruit. 

PrincessZ20
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Fortunately, we never had to do dayare.  Alex's school serves a fair amount of non-perishable food, I think because of the shelf life.  However, they pretty much always offer fresh fruit, salad, fresh vegetables, or something like that along with the meals.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:19 AM

no not all are like that...but don't be surprised if they don't feed her what you send...that food they serve is the gov's meal supplement plan for daycares...not very nutritious, imo...it's mostly GMO foods.  The thing is, if the place relies solely on gov meals, the food is not going to improve unless parents unite and demand it.  NO daycare is going to go out of their way for one kid.   What happened to Obama's plan of eating healthy? I guess it didnt' apply to preschoolers..they only get decent food when they get to public school?  How absurd of our gov...doesn't surprise me tho.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN