Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Your Childrens Friends

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM
  • 57 Replies

How do you help your children pick their friends wisely?  Do you worry about them hanging out with the wrong crowd?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM
You know I worry about everything!
Friends right now I don't worry about to much because they are friends with kids from their sports teams. Same kids they have been playing with for years. I also help out at school so I know the kids from their classes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

To be brutally honest; I am more worried about the parents of the possible friends!

Quoting batjmom:

You know I worry about everything!
Friends right now I don't worry about to much because they are friends with kids from their sports teams. Same kids they have been playing with for years. I also help out at school so I know the kids from their classes

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

There are a few kids that my kids want to hang out with that I kind of wonder about, but for the most part they're still young enough that we're pretty watchful.  If we notice some things going on with that friend that aren't okay, then we talk to our kids.  If a child continues to mistreat them or do things that are not okay, then we don't have that child over.  

Our teenager I worry about a little, because she tends to care way too much what other people think and looks for approval.  I really think that it's something that stems from experiences she had when she was younger and living with her biological mother, but we do the best we can to combat those thoughts, and help her find friends who she doesn't need to impress.  Unfortunately, her cousin, who is one of her best friends, and one we can't really not spend time with, is one of the nastiest, meanest, most foul mouthed girls I've ever met.  

TerriC
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That is a shame her cousin is like that!  =-(

There are 2 kids in our area that the girls are not allowed to play with.  Thankfully, my girls told me what these other girls did.  If it had kept on and they hadn't told me, I would have never forgiven myself!  Luckily, the 1st time, the one girl that tried to do something "weird" to my daughter, she came to DH and I and told us while the girl was still there.

Quoting TigerofMu:

There are a few kids that my kids want to hang out with that I kind of wonder about, but for the most part they're still young enough that we're pretty watchful.  If we notice some things going on with that friend that aren't okay, then we talk to our kids.  If a child continues to mistreat them or do things that are not okay, then we don't have that child over.  

Our teenager I worry about a little, because she tends to care way too much what other people think and looks for approval.  I really think that it's something that stems from experiences she had when she was younger and living with her biological mother, but we do the best we can to combat those thoughts, and help her find friends who she doesn't need to impress.  Unfortunately, her cousin, who is one of her best friends, and one we can't really not spend time with, is one of the nastiest, meanest, most foul mouthed girls I've ever met.  

Leelee1008
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I try to pound in their heads that the ones who are doing the bad stuff are not ones they need to hang out with.

TerriC
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Good advice!

Quoting Leelee1008:

I try to pound in their heads that the ones who are doing the bad stuff are not ones they need to hang out with.

Vertical15
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I worry but there isn't much I can do other then instill good morals and hope for the best!

TerriC
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Very true!  The things I say to them about being careful about people in general and they just roll their eyes at me.  LOL

Quoting Vertical15:

I worry but there isn't much I can do other then instill good morals and hope for the best!

slw123
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My kids are still in elementary school.  Right now I don't worry so much, but so far they have chosen their friends quite well.  We don't let them go to a friends house that we don't already know their parents.  Plus my kids are so busy with sports and other activities that they really don't have  a lot of time for going anywhere else.

yu001133shan02
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)