Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Do you shop consignment/second hand for your kids?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 116 Replies

Do you buy your children second hand clothing? 

What about toys?

If not, why?

If so, feel free to share some of your finds!

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I call September the month of consignments. There are about 8 nearby with another 4-6 within a short drive of my home and I try to hit at least 6 of them. I actually have favorites I MUST attend every year.

My kids wear tons of hand me downs. I don't think this is much different. I wash everything after buying it. And there are also tons of non clothing finds. With all my kids birthday falling from Nov-Jan these sales also help me find some goodies for presents sometimes, too!

I'm also all about yard sale and craigslist, even freecycle in the past. With three growing boys, why pay retail?  Plus, I figure when they are older they are going to get picky and I need to save while I can!

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I do shop for some clothes mostly because i am looking for a certain piece to complete an outfit or to get some highly overpriced boutique brands at a more resaonable price.

Charizma77
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Sometimes but I get a lot of hand me downs from friends so I don't need to buy hand me downs often. I buy them new clothes as well.
natesmom1228
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I shop and take clothes to the consignment shop. It helps with making extra money also. I can keep all the money that I make on credit that I can use to buy him "new" clothes. I have a tote in my car to take in. I also take in toys.

TerriC
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I have not ever been to one here or with them, but I would.  I just found out there is one in town, so I would definitely take my kids.  They do get a lot of hand me downs from the neighbor girls and they love that!  (I used to go to them in CA often).

ceciliam
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I haven't but not for any particular reason. I do donate some of his outgrown clothing and toys, though.

BramblePatch
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I do! I am a single mom on fixed income. I can't spend $200 on a good new winter coat for each of them... I found DD a Patagonia for $5 at a garage sale this summer!!! Instead of $80 for new Sorrels I paid $2 for DDs and $8 for DSs.
I am prety happy :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

No, I buy toys and clothes on clearance and somehow always find super great deals.

copperswifey
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have always bought new, but this year for the first time I bought their jeans on ebay. I had spent so much money on clothes and I still needed jeans and with them being $30 or more for a pair of them I decided to let someone else take the hit. I was scared to do it, but the jeans I got were all in great condition and they were baby gap, oshkosh and some other name brand ones for $25. So I got 4 pair of jeans for what I would have spent on one pair. I'm happy! I wouldn't buy all their clothes used, but if they are in really good condition or sometimes new and you can pay a lot less for them then why not do it.  :)

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes, totally! 

We have a HUGE consignment sale here twice a year, and it's coming up next week.  Hooray!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN