Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

9/11 - Did you talk to your kids about it?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM
  • 27 Replies

Why or why not?

How old are they or were they when you talked about it?

I'm kinda having an issue.  I never spoke to my son about it.  He is 9.  I don't think he needs those kinds of worries about the world around him yet.  I didn't plan on shielding him from everything forever but I wasn't ready to talk about it with him (or my 4 and 2 yos for that matter!)  Yesterday, he came home from school and told me they watched a video about 9/11 and in his wide eyed terror stricken face he asked all sorts of questions about it happening again, him NEVER wanting to ride a plane again and many other topics that were tough for me to cover with him. 

I really wish the school would have warned us they were showing something so I could at least have been prepared.

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I have talked to my kids about it since they were 5.  Since they were in school I didnt want them unprepared for what they my hear.   Now that they are 10 and 11 they have seen more of the news coverage.      We fly a lot too so they have seen the security checks and we told them why the added security.    Every child is different so what age they hear about it ranges...I think anyway

Vertical15
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Maybe I am being selfish for not talking to them about it?  I guess I just don't like that it did scare him so much but it scared everyone.

Quoting batjmom:

I have talked to my kids about it since they were 5.  Since they were in school I didnt want them unprepared for what they my hear.   Now that they are 10 and 11 they have seen more of the news coverage.      We fly a lot too so they have seen the security checks and we told them why the added security.    Every child is different so what age they hear about it ranges...I think anyway

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I think that the teachers should have sent something home to you letting the parents know they were going to talk about it.   That way you could have prepared them.     We were also in NY a few years ago and took the kids to where to the site.  

Quoting Vertical15:

Maybe I am being selfish for not talking to them about it?  I guess I just don't like that it did scare him so much but it scared everyone.

Quoting batjmom:

Vertical15
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I think so, too.  We've never taken the kids but my husband and I visited the WTC memorial a few years ago and then two years ago went to the Flight 93 memorial. 

Quoting batjmom:

I think that the teachers should have sent something home to you letting the parents know they were going to talk about it.   That way you could have prepared them.     We were also in NY a few years ago and took the kids to where to the site.  

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting batjmom:

Maria1415
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I told my daughter when she was 4 but then again she is very advanced. It was like talking to a 7 or & year old at the time. I even took her to ground zero in one of our trips to NYC. We've been on planes since and shes been ok with it. All children are different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I'm definately not ready to talk to my 4yo in depth.  Granted he heard some of the conversation between my 9yo and I but I'm not talking to him about it yet.  Maybe next year.

Quoting Maria1415:

I told my daughter when she was 4 but then again she is very advanced. It was like talking to a 7 or & year old at the time. I even took her to ground zero in one of our trips to NYC. We've been on planes since and shes been ok with it. All children are different.

Vertical15
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

After talking more to my husband and hearing a couple of your thoughts I guess I am just being a little too sensitive about the whole thing.  We are lucky that it didn't affect our family immediately but I can't shelter my children from what happened forever.

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM
No. They're only 5, 4 and 21 months. They're not ready for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttersworth
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Schools have a way of doing that lately. I think they think they are the parents.

I wonder if they're gonna pay my daughter's college tuition now that they are telling my straight A student through their computer program that she could be a butcher or a cocktail waitress.

No, I'm not kidding.

TerriC
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM

My kids know a lot about it, mostly because it is my Birthday.  I have kept a scrapbook since 9/11/01 til now and update it with newspaper articles etc.  They also know a lot about it because we have family in the military and my step brother is a wounded warrior, so we do talk a lot about it.  They are very curious.  We have not shown them graphic video or anything like that yet, just the scrap book and talk about what they hear and see on the news.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN