Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When kids lie

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
What do you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xandriasmommy
by Nycole on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Well my dd is 4, she hasn't lied per se but skimmed the truth. I first explain what it is to lie, even half truths are a lie. Then I tell her that if I find out she lied she gets in trouble for what she lied about AND the lie. Then I ask her again what happened. She usually will tell the full truth.

I then tell her I'm proud that she did what was right and told me the truth even though she will get in a little trouble for doing wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emiller3321
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:34 PM
My son only did it once found out he didnt like standing in the corner. If he tells the truth then only gets in trouble a little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Luckily Alex is a horrible liar, lol. We make a big deal about telling the truth and trust. He usually gets a harsher punishment for the lie than what he lied about.
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Call them on it and explain why its not good to lie.  My oldest hasn't been caught in any since he was little and they were typical 'did you make that mess, no mom!' kinda lies.

printerr
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Several times my 3 year old has lied and said one of us (his parents) said he could do something, when it was not true (typically he was asking me if he could do something, I told him to ask his papa, and he came and told me that papa said yes, even though I overheard the whole thing and knew it was not true).  When that happens, he does not get what he wants and is told why. 

TerriC
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I can normally tell when they are, they aren't very good at it,  LOL.  I do explain that lying is very bad and that it can end up getting someone in trouble for no reason and how would they like that.  I tell them that is one big thing in book that would make me disappointed.

sunshine86912
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:40 PM

find out the truth..because it normally comes out. lol

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Thankfully DS has only tried a couple of times and they were REALLY bad attempts. We've discussed what lying is and what truth is. We really havent had to face this yet.

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM
I asked because my 5 year old does it. He always gets caught so far and we explain that it's wrong and he gets time out or things taken away. But it doesn't seem to be sinking in. He's told little lies here and there before but it seems like it got a lot worse when he started school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM

We have one that as far as we know has never lied.  For some awesome, wonderful reason, she tells teh truth, even if it means she's busted!  We have another who will occasionally lie, but usually comes back within the next 2 minutes, crying, to tell us the truth, because she is so convicted that she lied.

On the other hand, we have two more who are not always truthful.  I sometimes wonder if our 11 year old is even capable of telling the truth because it seems like nearly everything that comes out of her mouth is not it!  I try really hard not to accuse her without proof, even if I absolutely know that she did something, but it's really hard not to be angry when she's is looking me in the face and telling a total lie.  She spends a lot of time on the wall, with spankings, and in "conferences" with us.  I try to give her the opportunity to come clean on her own before I break out the "I saw you" or "there was a witness" guns.

Our 16 year old is not always truthful, but she's harder to catch.  Sometimes I'm not sure if she's telling the truth or not, but I usually give her the benefit of the doubt unless I know differently.  She usually lies about stuff like gettin gher work finished or completing a task we've assigned.  And food.  I know she snitches food, but I can't always get on her about it, because I think my 11 year old might be as well.

I do however have proof that she has been into things she had no business being into, and she was the only child still up last night when half of DH's soda mysteriously disappeared from the fridge.  Stuff like that causes us to crack down on her.  You're not going to be responsible, respectful and truthful?  Well then, here are some more restrictions to help us keep you on track.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)