Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Piercing Predicament

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM
  • 38 Replies

Piercing predicament

Help! My baby wants to mutilate her … ears!

OK, I guess piercing really isn’t mutilation, so to speak. However in my mind, it is not that far off track.

A little background here: At 16 (she will turn 17 in January, as I am often reminded), Grace is not a baby. But in my mind she is and you will never convince me otherwise. Recently she started her own relentless campaign to get a piercing in her ear cartilage. When I say relentless, I mean her techniques put those whiny politicians to shame.

I will admit that she is clever in her methods.

First, she knew I would be the tough one so she got her mother onboard first. Then the begging, pleading and even texting started. “Daddy, please! All my friends have it done.” I gave her the canned, “they are not my daughters” response.

You see, about six or seven years ago she got regular piercings in her earlobes.

I wasn’t crazy about the idea but I gave in. I went with her and my wife to the “disfigurement center” and I was a nervous wreck.

I understood that they would do both ears at the same time, I made sure she knew it was going to hurt a bit and I held on to her hands the whole time. When I heard the sickening double click I could barely make out her expression from behind my semi-flooded eyes. She flinched a bit but was fine. On the other hand, I needed a drink.

Now that I have finally gotten over that traumatic event, they want to put me through it again. I told her I don’t care for it and I don’t think it looks classy (my opinion and therefore it should stand for my family!). She hasn’t let up. Last night it started again and she asked, “Can I do it for the prom in the spring?” I replied that I didn’t think she would be 18 by then.

Then I looked at her—and threatened her, “Maybe I will write about it in my blog.” Her challenge was to go ahead and do it. She thinks everyone will back her up and then I will have to give in. She insists there is nothing wrong with the look and I am just old fashioned.

So what do you think? Am I being unreasonable? Please let me know. I promise to share the responses with Grace and then we will see if I change my mind. No promises.

In the spirit of election season, please vote TEAM DAD or TEAM GRACE.

(http://www.centralpennparent.com/Because-Im-the-Dad/September-2012/Piercing-predicament/)

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm definately Team Grace-she is older not a child and they are just piercings.  She can take them out not like a tattoo. 

I'm pro-piercings.  I've had over 12 on my body through growing up (which really isn't a ton compared to some!).  Mostly between ages 17-24 and then got my first tattoo (and only) before delving into being a parent and being too busy to worry with that kind of stuff.  When my kids ask for anything like that I will decide then but I wouldn't be opposed to ear piercings on my boys if they wanted it.  Once they are 16+ though cartilage, and other piercings will be decided as we go.

TerriC
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I think at 17 she is old enough to make that kind of decision.  I would like to think when my girls are that age, with something like this, I would respect their desire to do it.  I am tattooed, so I would not have much room for argument!  LOL

Vertical15
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats kinda how I am about piercings.  I still have one in each ear my tongue and lip. 

Quoting TerriC:

I think at 17 she is old enough to make that kind of decision.  I would like to think when my girls are that age, with something like this, I would respect their desire to do it.  I am tattooed, so I would not have much room for argument!  LOL

sunshine86912
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

team grace.  sorry but if she wants it done..shes just going to do it when she turns 18. trust me.  I did the SAME thing with my belly button ring.  my mom said no..so I snuck off on my 18th birthday to do it. ha. take that parents.  didnt make me a bad person...and I took care of it.  my body my rules at 18.

sunshine86912
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree!  I dont have any tats..but my girls know that when they can take care of their own ears I will take them to have them done if they want them done.  I will NOT pay for anything other than ears from MY pockets LOL but if you save up your money to pay for it yourself...go for it!

Quoting TerriC:

sunshine86912
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I think I would have a harder time with piercings and boys LOL..since I have girls..I dont find it an issue at all though.  but if I had boys..I might think a little more about it..but I dunno..I Dont have boys haha

Quoting Vertical15:

I'm definately Team Grace-she is older not a child and they are just piercings.  She can take them out not like a tattoo. 

I'm pro-piercings.  I've had over 12 on my body through growing up (which really isn't a ton compared to some!).  Mostly between ages 17-24 and then got my first tattoo (and only) before delving into being a parent and being too busy to worry with that kind of stuff.  When my kids ask for anything like that I will decide then but I wouldn't be opposed to ear piercings on my boys if they wanted it.  Once they are 16+ though cartilage, and other piercings will be decided as we go.

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Team Grace all the way! She's 17 not 7.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nutty-mom
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Agree.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Team Grace all the way! She's 17 not 7.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Oh and I've had that done. It's not much more painful than a regular piercing. The only thing is you have to make sure to take care of them because they do get infected easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Eh, I guess I'm on team Grace.
It's not a tattoo. It will heal shut if she regrets it later. I say let her do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN