Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Piercing predicament

Help! My baby wants to mutilate her … ears!

OK, I guess piercing really isn’t mutilation, so to speak. However in my mind, it is not that far off track.

A little background here: At 16 (she will turn 17 in January, as I am often reminded), Grace is not a baby. But in my mind she is and you will never convince me otherwise. Recently she started her own relentless campaign to get a piercing in her ear cartilage. When I say relentless, I mean her techniques put those whiny politicians to shame.

I will admit that she is clever in her methods.

First, she knew I would be the tough one so she got her mother onboard first. Then the begging, pleading and even texting started. “Daddy, please! All my friends have it done.” I gave her the canned, “they are not my daughters” response.

You see, about six or seven years ago she got regular piercings in her earlobes.

I wasn’t crazy about the idea but I gave in. I went with her and my wife to the “disfigurement center” and I was a nervous wreck.

I understood that they would do both ears at the same time, I made sure she knew it was going to hurt a bit and I held on to her hands the whole time. When I heard the sickening double click I could barely make out her expression from behind my semi-flooded eyes. She flinched a bit but was fine. On the other hand, I needed a drink.

Now that I have finally gotten over that traumatic event, they want to put me through it again. I told her I don’t care for it and I don’t think it looks classy (my opinion and therefore it should stand for my family!). She hasn’t let up. Last night it started again and she asked, “Can I do it for the prom in the spring?” I replied that I didn’t think she would be 18 by then.

Then I looked at her—and threatened her, “Maybe I will write about it in my blog.” Her challenge was to go ahead and do it. She thinks everyone will back her up and then I will have to give in. She insists there is nothing wrong with the look and I am just old fashioned.

So what do you think? Am I being unreasonable? Please let me know. I promise to share the responses with Grace and then we will see if I change my mind. No promises.

In the spirit of election season, please vote TEAM DAD or TEAM GRACE.

(http://www.centralpennparent.com/Because-Im-the-Dad/September-2012/Piercing-predicament/)

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM

DH's eyebrow ring got ripped out by a dog. It scarred nicely, it sort of looks like a chicken pox scar, but you have to really look to notice it; his eyebrows mostly cover it up.

Quoting Vertical15:

I had issues with my eyebrow, it was my first piercing other then my ears and I don't know if I wans't caring for it properly or what but I gave up and took that one out.  I do have a decent scar but its not crazy visible unless you look for it.

Quoting new_mom808:

I had to let my tongue close when I got pregnant. I was all swollen in the begining, and it was making me miserable.....in hindsight I probably should have just gone an bought a longer barbell. LMAO.

Quoting Vertical15:

Thats kinda how I am about piercings.  I still have one in each ear my tongue and lip. 

Quoting TerriC:

I think at 17 she is old enough to make that kind of decision.  I would like to think when my girls are that age, with something like this, I would respect their desire to do it.  I am tattooed, so I would not have much room for argument!  LOL

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Team Dad.  Her ears are pierced, the rest can wait.  If she still wants it when she is old enough to pay for it herself and make her own decisions, then it is her choice.  I've had a lot of friends who have a lot of problems with cartilege piercings and say they wouldn't have done it if they could go back.   She'll probably still want it, but it'll be up to her then.  

When you live in your parents home, you need to respect their rules.

Vertical15
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Ouch!

Quoting new_mom808:

DH's eyebrow ring got ripped out by a dog. It scarred nicely, it sort of looks like a chicken pox scar, but you have to really look to notice it; his eyebrows mostly cover it up.

Quoting Vertical15:

I had issues with my eyebrow, it was my first piercing other then my ears and I don't know if I wans't caring for it properly or what but I gave up and took that one out.  I do have a decent scar but its not crazy visible unless you look for it.

Quoting new_mom808:

I had to let my tongue close when I got pregnant. I was all swollen in the begining, and it was making me miserable.....in hindsight I probably should have just gone an bought a longer barbell. LMAO.

Quoting Vertical15:

Thats kinda how I am about piercings.  I still have one in each ear my tongue and lip. 

Quoting TerriC:

I think at 17 she is old enough to make that kind of decision.  I would like to think when my girls are that age, with something like this, I would respect their desire to do it.  I am tattooed, so I would not have much room for argument!  LOL

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Hmmmm.... hard to take this article seriously. If she has already had her ears pierced before, what is the big deal? I think there is some tougue in cheek here.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Bmat
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

At 16 it should be her choice, in my opinion.

saraface5383
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Team grace!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

The parents rules/decisions should be respected until she turns 18.  While I don't think a piercing in her ear cartilage is a big deal, she is still a minor and she still needs to do what her parents wish for her.  If she wants to go out on her 18th birthday and get a piercing and pay for it herself, it will be hard for them to prevent it, but right now she needs to wait.  She has her whole life to put holes in her body.

Vertical15
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

They are talking about cartilage which is considered more of a body piercing.  And does require a parents approval for anyone under 18.  I think the point he's trying to make is, this is still his baby even though shes almost  17?  I don't know this is all I found on the article.

Quoting dusky_rose:

Hmmmm.... hard to take this article seriously. If she has already had her ears pierced before, what is the big deal? I think there is some tougue in cheek here.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I thought that the whole ear was made of cartilage.

Quoting Vertical15:

They are talking about cartilage which is considered more of a body piercing.  And does require a parents approval for anyone under 18.  I think the point he's trying to make is, this is still his baby even though shes almost  17?  I don't know this is all I found on the article.

Quoting dusky_rose:

Hmmmm.... hard to take this article seriously. If she has already had her ears pierced before, what is the big deal? I think there is some tongue in cheek here.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Vertical15
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I found this on google.  I think the ear is all cartilage but the name of the distinct piercngs are different.

Quoting dusky_rose:

I thought that the whole ear was made of cartilage.

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting dusky_rose:

Hmmmm.... hard to take this article seriously. If she has already had her ears pierced before, what is the big deal? I think there is some tongue in cheek here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN