Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

What about a simple outdoor playhouse for your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

(http://www.redtri.com/kids/inspiring-playhouses?utm_source=contactology&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=All-Cities-Newsletter-2012-09-14_

10 Inspiring Playhouses That Make Us Long to Be a Kid Again

Remember when playing house meant never making a mortgage payment or paying the electricity bill? How we long for the days of yore, when we wiled away countless afternoons in the playhouse we called home from dawn to dusk -- when all that mattered was stirring the leaf, twig and berry stew we cooked-up on the knee-high kitchen stove until mom and dad called us in for ‘real‘ dinner. Cut to present day and you won't believe your eyes when you behold these amazing playhouses we'd like to buy for our kids, and then curl up in for the day...or week. Here are ten diminutive dwellings that make us wish we were kids again.

1. Dreaming Spires Playhouse
Aside from being awe-inspiring in its natural beauty, designer Judith Neeham's Dreaming Spires playhouse is perhaps the most earth conscious playhouse in existence. Handwoven with highly renewable willow by Neeham in Surrey, England, the structure gradually degrades in about five years due to exposure to the elements, and may then be shredded and used for garden mulch, added to a compost bin, or used as kindling for building a fire.

by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
liss05
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

this is so sweet. Love the colors.

Quoting Vertical15:

9. Kew Garden Cottage by Barbara Butler
Designer Barbara Butler’s vibrant Kew Garden Cottage is as charming as it gets. From the Dutch door to the window shutters and the secret back door, every thoughtful detail makes this tiny home an inviting escape to be treasured. The interior loft provides a perfect space for a kid to take a nap or read a book by the light streaming in through the porthole window. Jealous? Don’t miss Butler’s fantastical designs for grown-ups, from garden sheds to bike garages!

TerriC
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg! I want one!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Some of those are adorable. I had a pretty large playhouse with a little porch complete with a mailbox.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
This is so cute.

Quoting Vertical15:

3. Queen Elizabeth’s Childhood Playhouse, “The Little House”
Presented to Queen Elizabeth in 1932 on her sixth birthday, this regal dwelling is, well, fit for a queen. The two-thirds sized, fully furnished Welsh cottage boasts finishing interior touches including a miniature blue and gold china set, a working gas cooker and fridge, Beatrix Potter books and a telephone, all made to scale. The inviting exterior has a front garden with mini hedges and flower borders. Princess Beatrice recently renovated The Little House in honor of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM
I like this one too.

Quoting Vertical15:

10. Mousehouse Playhouse
You’ll be inspired to get to work fashioning a playhouse for your kids when you get a load of this precious Mousehouse that a mom and dad made for their two girls. They painted an existing playhouse structure they had purchased and added quaint details such as scallop-bunting and hanging planters -- and fabulous vintage and thrift shop finds from tiny pots and pans to a rotary telephone, which pepper the interior with whimsy. When can we come over for a spot of tea?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM

These are amazing!!

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM

My friend and I actually make playhouses similar to these :) 

Quoting Vertical15:

8. Fabric Card Table Playhouses
These awesome fabric playhouses are slipcovers that transform a ho-hum card table into a portal to another world. You can choose from a wide selection of themes and decorations, from a farm stand to outer space and an animal sanctuary to a pirate adventure or a pet shop -- and you may even embellish or create your own fabric card table playhouse from the patterns available at Imaginative Play Toys.

busymom64064
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM
I like the third or last one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Okay, this one is really cool :)

Quoting Vertical15:

8. Fabric Card Table Playhouses
These awesome fabric playhouses are slipcovers that transform a ho-hum card table into a portal to another world. You can choose from a wide selection of themes and decorations, from a farm stand to outer space and an animal sanctuary to a pirate adventure or a pet shop -- and you may even embellish or create your own fabric card table playhouse from the patterns available at Imaginative Play Toys.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Looking at #1, why would I want a playhouse that falls apart in a few years?  If I'm putting the time, effort and money into it, I want something that will last!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN