Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

The Birds and Bees.

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
What is a good age to have this talk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd say when they start getting curious (which most kids are at an early age) but it should be somewhat age appropriate so they can understand. Like, my boys are 4 & 5 and they know I'm expecting and they remember when I had their sister. So of course they're curious. I told them it takes a mommy and a daddy and the daddy puts the baby in Mom's tummy. They're good with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, when they get curious. You can answer their questions in an age appropriate manner. 

SuperMom2433
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM
My daughter is 7 and Im not sure how much she knows. I've been wanting to ask but not sure how to ask. I want to explain about puberty and what not but just not sure when exactly to have these talks.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

I'd say when they start getting curious (which most kids are at an early age) but it should be somewhat age appropriate so they can understand. Like, my boys are 4 & 5 and they know I'm expecting and they remember when I had their sister. So of course they're curious. I told them it takes a mommy and a daddy and the daddy puts the baby in Mom's tummy. They're good with that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I would start with the basics as soon as you're ready to give them some information.  Especially once they start school and there is misinformation everywhere.  Also, remind younger kids that it's a private family conversation and their friends parents will have their own ways to explain things to their children.

Karen2313
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I agree when they get curious and start asking questions. Our answers should be age appropriate.

jessicasmom1
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I agree before they learn from someone else at school or someplace like that kids talk

Quoting TigerofMu:

I would start with the basics as soon as you're ready to give them some information.  Especially once they start school and there is misinformation everywhere.  Also, remind younger kids that it's a private family conversation and their friends parents will have their own ways to explain things to their children.

Vertical15
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It depends on the child.  My oldest was around 7-8 and he knows just the basics.  We bought a book for him but after flipping through that my husband and I were terrified LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)