Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Do Food Expiration Dates Really Matter?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found this article and I thought it was interesting, so I wanted to share!  The entire article is several pages long, so I'm just going to post the link and part of it.  

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

Do Food Expiration Dates Really Matter?

Experts provide a guide to the variety of confusing 'freshness' dates on food.
By 
WebMD Feature

You open the fridge, drag out the cottage cheese, check for fur, and if there isn't any, you say, "Honey? Will you sniff this?" This is not, however, the approved method of checking for freshness. The approved way lies in a voluntary system of labeling.

Yes, voluntary. The only items required by federal law to be labeled for expiration are infant formula and some baby foods; some states also mandate pulling dairy from store shelves on the expiration date.

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:03 AM
Replies (31-34):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info!  Our milk and eggs are on the top two shelves.  The milk takes up the whole top shelf though, so it's not all toward the back.  I really want a freezerless fridge so I can have more fridge space!  By the time I put 8 gallons of milk and 10 dozen eggs in, it makes it hard to squeeze in anything else!

Quoting TerriC:

Some one told me that eggs stay fresher longer if you store them on the top rack towards the back instead of in the door. Same with milk, so that is what we do.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Yes.  We keep eggs around a lot too.  I've never had eggs go bad in my fridge.  The only thing is that you can tell they are not as fresh, so if you were making something that depended on the freshness of the ingredients like Angel Food Cake, it might not work.  They are darker yellow, and the yolks get oozier.

Quoting TerriC:

Really? Wow! I heard eggs are good for a lot longer also.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I know yogurt is good for a month to six weeks after the expiration date.  That stuff goes forever!

Quoting TerriC:

Very interesting.  I always wonder if it can still be good for a day or two longer, maybe even more than that.

TerriC
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM
I can imagine!

Quoting TigerofMu:

Thanks for the info!  Our milk and eggs are on the top two shelves.  The milk takes up the whole top shelf though, so it's not all toward the back.  I really want a freezerless fridge so I can have more fridge space!  By the time I put 8 gallons of milk and 10 dozen eggs in, it makes it hard to squeeze in anything else!

Quoting TerriC:

Some one told me that eggs stay fresher longer if you store them on the top rack towards the back instead of in the door. Same with milk, so that is what we do.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Yes.  We keep eggs around a lot too.  I've never had eggs go bad in my fridge.  The only thing is that you can tell they are not as fresh, so if you were making something that depended on the freshness of the ingredients like Angel Food Cake, it might not work.  They are darker yellow, and the yolks get oozier.

Quoting TerriC:

Really? Wow! I heard eggs are good for a lot longer also.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I know yogurt is good for a month to six weeks after the expiration date.  That stuff goes forever!

Quoting TerriC:

Very interesting.  I always wonder if it can still be good for a day or two longer, maybe even more than that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I make dh sniff it too lol.

Quoting TigerofMu:

That makes a lot of sense.  And yes, I agree that sometimes it's hard to know what to do.  I used to pour out my milk on the expiration date, because I could never tell if it was off or not, and I was freaked out.  My husband is the "household sniffer" now (LOL) and I will hand him the milk if it's past its date so he can check it out.  We've even had some that's gone over a week!

And I've also learned that even if it's starting to turn, milk can still be cooked with until it's all the way gone.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

There should be a standard system so it isn't so confusing and everything should be required to have an expiration date. I get paranoid about this. Something can seem fine but if the date is that day or has passed it's sometimes hard to know what to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
If you cover eggs in mineral oil and refrigerate, they can last up to 9 months! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)