Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Do Food Expiration Dates Really Matter?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found this article and I thought it was interesting, so I wanted to share!  The entire article is several pages long, so I'm just going to post the link and part of it.  

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

Do Food Expiration Dates Really Matter?

Experts provide a guide to the variety of confusing 'freshness' dates on food.
By 
WebMD Feature

You open the fridge, drag out the cottage cheese, check for fur, and if there isn't any, you say, "Honey? Will you sniff this?" This is not, however, the approved method of checking for freshness. The approved way lies in a voluntary system of labeling.

Yes, voluntary. The only items required by federal law to be labeled for expiration are infant formula and some baby foods; some states also mandate pulling dairy from store shelves on the expiration date.

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
Fields456
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Lol I do the sniff test on some this and the growing furr or mold on other lol. But there are somethings like eggs I throw out within 24 hours of being expired. But lately that hasn't been an issue since I am lucky to get layer that day fresh eggs from my friend. Omg they are so good
natesmom1228
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

They matter to me. I pay very close attention to dates.

goddess99
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Tyfs!!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I love that, the growing furr test :).  Fresh eggs are wonderful.  When I get to go see my sister she usually shares chicken, goose and even turkey eggs :).

Quoting Fields456:

Lol I do the sniff test on some this and the growing furr or mold on other lol. But there are somethings like eggs I throw out within 24 hours of being expired. But lately that hasn't been an issue since I am lucky to get layer that day fresh eggs from my friend. Omg they are so good

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

That's good information :).  Thank you for sharing!

Quoting diapersnob:

I read on eggs.com, a few years ago, that the only thing that really happens is that the whites...go away, dissipate, something like that.

Quoting TerriC:

Some one told me that eggs stay fresher longer if you store them on the top rack towards the back instead of in the door. Same with milk, so that is what we do.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Yes.  We keep eggs around a lot too.  I've never had eggs go bad in my fridge.  The only thing is that you can tell they are not as fresh, so if you were making something that depended on the freshness of the ingredients like Angel Food Cake, it might not work.  They are darker yellow, and the yolks get oozier.

Quoting TerriC:

Really? Wow! I heard eggs are good for a lot longer also.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I know yogurt is good for a month to six weeks after the expiration date.  That stuff goes forever!

Quoting TerriC:

Very interesting.  I always wonder if it can still be good for a day or two longer, maybe even more than that.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I agree!  We don't even get yogurt at the food bank till it's already at or past its date and the grocery store is pulling it.  

Quoting Madelaine:

I always wondered about yogurt, it does last forever!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

That makes a lot of sense.  And yes, I agree that sometimes it's hard to know what to do.  I used to pour out my milk on the expiration date, because I could never tell if it was off or not, and I was freaked out.  My husband is the "household sniffer" now (LOL) and I will hand him the milk if it's past its date so he can check it out.  We've even had some that's gone over a week!

And I've also learned that even if it's starting to turn, milk can still be cooked with until it's all the way gone.

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

There should be a standard system so it isn't so confusing and everything should be required to have an expiration date. I get paranoid about this. Something can seem fine but if the date is that day or has passed it's sometimes hard to know what to do.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Oh yuck!  I'm so sorry!  That brings back the lesson in Jr. High Home-Ec when our teacher explained why we break eggs into a separate bowl or cup :).  

Quoting Bmat:

I had one egg in many years go bad. I was fixing scrambled eggs and broke the egg directly into the skillet- big mistake. Now I always break eggs into a dish and then pour the egg into the mixing bowl or skillet, then break the next egg into the dish, and so forth.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Yes.  We keep eggs around a lot too.  I've never had eggs go bad in my fridge.  The only thing is that you can tell they are not as fresh, so if you were making something that depended on the freshness of the ingredients like Angel Food Cake, it might not work.  They are darker yellow, and the yolks get oozier.

Quoting TerriC:

Really? Wow! I heard eggs are good for a lot longer also.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I know yogurt is good for a month to six weeks after the expiration date.  That stuff goes forever!

Quoting TerriC:

Very interesting.  I always wonder if it can still be good for a day or two longer, maybe even more than that.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Wow!  

Quoting karamille:

My mom kept everything longer than she should - especially leftovers.  I was sick all the time with vomiting and diarrhea as a kid, and now as an adult I realize that most of it was my mom's fault.  We would have taco meat for a few days in the fridge, then she would turn around and make chili with it and keep in in the fridge for several days more.  No wonder I was always sick.  I am crazy anal about food freshness.  Food goes immidiately into the fridge after dinner (I have a old fridge in the basement turned down really cold for flash cooling)  Anything not eaten in two days is frozen or thrown away.  

My sis and I clean out my mom's fridge about once a month and throw out all the past dated sour cream, butter, salad dressing, etc...  Before we did it regularly it was not uncommon to find ranch dressing a year past its freshness date.  

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I wasn't sure cereal ever went bad ;).

Quoting slw123:

Some are more important than others, like milk.  Cereal doesn't go stale at midnight of the expiration date.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)