Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Eczema & kids

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM
  • 27 Replies
Anyone have a child with eczema? We suspect our dd has developed it. She has growing patches on both elbows and one knee that are rough/scaly, reddish and she says "ouchie" but scratches them. Idk if they actually hurt or they just itch but she doesn't know the word. I bought her California Baby Eczema wash and I've been putting a salve my adopted mom made on the spots. It has lavender and callendula. It must make the patches feel better because dd will ask/whine for it. It has seemed to help. We will be taking her to the dr to make sure but I was curious about what other moms do that helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rjsmommy214
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I usually just use lotion. DS has it on the tops of both feet and on one leg. When it gets really bad you can do wet wraps. Google it and it will explain what to do. She may def. be scratching because it itches. We go through a vicious cycle with DS. It heals, he scratches and break the skin, it heals, then he scratches again. It sucks. I haven't found any miracle cream yet. Good luck.

rjsmommy214
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Oh and of course go for an unscented lotion or it can irritate. I usually get aveen eczema therapy or eucerin calmng cream. Make sure you put it on right after a bath. It soaks into the skin better. You don't even have to dry her off all the way before applying.

Quoting rjsmommy214:

I usually just use lotion. DS has it on the tops of both feet and on one leg. When it gets really bad you can do wet wraps. Google it and it will explain what to do. She may def. be scratching because it itches. We go through a vicious cycle with DS. It heals, he scratches and break the skin, it heals, then he scratches again. It sucks. I haven't found any miracle cream yet. Good luck.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Is it on the inside or outside of the elbows and knee? The inside is a very common sign to us our son has ingested a food he is allergic to. Just may be worth looking into :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Hmmm... that may actually be psoriasis.  Google pics and see which looks more like it.  If its psoriasis - that is autoimmune and you will want to address it with a dermatologist.  If its ezcema, its also related to a food allergy.  Start food journaling and see if you can find the culprit.  Dairy is the most common one so I would start there.  If its really driving her nuts, cortisone cream will really settle it down and give her relief.  I know its not idea, but if she digs at it she can get a staph infection which is way worse than occasionally using cortisone cream.  

Xandriasmommy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM
This is what I was thinking.

Quoting karamille:

Hmmm... that may actually be psoriasis.  Google pics and see which looks more like it.  If its psoriasis - that is autoimmune and you will want to address it with a dermatologist.  If its ezcema, its also related to a food allergy.  Start food journaling and see if you can find the culprit.  Dairy is the most common one so I would start there.  If its really driving her nuts, cortisone cream will really settle it down and give her relief.  I know its not idea, but if she digs at it she can get a staph infection which is way worse than occasionally using cortisone cream.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Two of my three have it and we use coconut oil.  It works wonders!  Smells great and I use it on myself, too.

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM
It's not psoriasis. Food journaling isn't a bad idea. Eczema runs in dh's family which is another reason we're pretty sure that's what it is.

Quoting karamille:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Outsides of all.

Quoting Mipsy:

Is it on the inside or outside of the elbows and knee? The inside is a very common sign to us our son has ingested a food he is allergic to. Just may be worth looking into :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

We eliminated fleece from his winter wardrobe in favor of natural fibers, and started using coconut oil after baths, DS's dry skin cleared patches cleared right up.

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I've heard great things about coconut oil as well!

Good luck, I hope the salve keeps working!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)