Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health
Anyone have a child with eczema? We suspect our dd has developed it. She has growing patches on both elbows and one knee that are rough/scaly, reddish and she says "ouchie" but scratches them. Idk if they actually hurt or they just itch but she doesn't know the word. I bought her California Baby Eczema wash and I've been putting a salve my adopted mom made on the spots. It has lavender and callendula. It must make the patches feel better because dd will ask/whine for it. It has seemed to help. We will be taking her to the dr to make sure but I was curious about what other moms do that helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
MELRN
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I use only dove soap on my son or castile(sometimes its hard to get castile although at this time of the year I'm well stocked)  and when he geets out of the tub I rub in a&d OR Lanolin ointment---I"m effective about 85% of the year-sometimes in dead of winter I will give him an oral dose of claritin for the itch

I have also cut out dairy from his life  which worked amazingly well

Bookwormy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
DD had eczema severely on the insides of her elbows & knees. It got so bad we had to use hypoallergenic eczema lotion w/hydrocortizone 3 days on & 3 days off per her pediatrician. We were told by friends that it was probably a dairy allergy symptom, so I cut all dairy out, since I was nursing. Nope! It was egg, poultry, & tree nut allergies. If it is eczema, go to a pediatric allergist. Don't just listen to all of us. The outside of the knees & elbows is weirder than the inside, however, so go to your pediatrician first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
My 11 month old has it bad on his back. I use lots of lotion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM
My ds' eczema was not treatable by a dermatologist. For him, his allergic reaction is an eczema flare up vs hives. It took 3 years of long nights, reflux, numerous medications, and 6 months with a dermatologist, etc before we finally we were referred to an allergist.

For the eczema: lotions like Aquafor and Aveeno tend to be helpful. My baby is allergic to lanolin so we have to buy exspensive lotions for him. Also fewer baths like every other to every two days will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

totally agree, DD had eczema when she was younger and was teething, she has since grown out of it, yet I was told to she is allergic to red dye #40, and harsh smelling products , free and clear laundry soap, and every other day showers as needed your body needs the oils it produces.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

My ds' eczema was not treatable by a dermatologist. For him, his allergic reaction is an eczema flare up vs hives. It took 3 years of long nights, reflux, numerous medications, and 6 months with a dermatologist, etc before we finally we were referred to an allergist.

For the eczema: lotions like Aquafor and Aveeno tend to be helpful. My baby is allergic to lanolin so we have to buy exspensive lotions for him. Also fewer baths like every other to every two days will help.

Rushn311
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

yes my daughter has eczema on her elbows. They are bumps and it itches like crazy. She was prescribed fluticazone I believe...and it works wonders.

URMySonShine
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Eczema can alsobe auto-immune and unrelated to food allergies. I would definitely consult a doctor nonetheless. Coconut oil helps my son, as does a daily dose of Pepcid, which blocks some of the histamine response behind the condition.
egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I think it's spreading to her face next to her mouth. It started as one bump, then two and now there's a cluster of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

My son has eczema, but he is also allergic to lavender so that wouldnt work.....have you done oatmeal baths?

DomsMom8207
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM
my son has mild exzema and i was using aveeno exzema theray but it began giving him hives so now we r just using regular aveeno and although its always there it doesnt itch or hurt him.

toddler boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN