Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Apraxia of speech...so frustrated

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 28 Replies

hello i am a new member my name is tralynn

my three year old son was diagnosed with apraxia of speech about a year ago. he was tested and was allowed to start at head start where he would have speech therapy twice a week. i though he was making really good progress but was extremely disappointed when we met with his speech therapist today. she said he had made progress but is still really behind. he does say some words but still does not speak clearly or all the time. she has taught him to sign which has helped a lot. i thought that this was enough but she now thinks that he may need more help. what she is suggesting is a speaking device. he will push a button and it will say what he wants/needs. i am so scared for him to use this because i am afraid it will stunt his growth. i think he will be to dependent on it and will never see the reason to speak. i just don't know what to think.

has anyone else experienced this?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I have not, sorry. I hope someone here has some words of advice for you. Maybe get a second opinion if you are not comfortable with him using such a device. Good luck with everything!
ardiaxe
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get a second opinion, you raise a very valid point and I would be just as concerned. Apraxia of speech is a challenge, my son was diagnosed with this at a very young age, but apparently it was mild. We did intensive speech therapy from 15 months until2.5. He had a very hard time with two syllable words. At 4 he is doing well. I would probably want to avoid the technological help as well, what would be his motive to talk if he has something talking for him? Although, If he is suffering and frustrated then it may be a relief too. Difficult decision!!!
alexmommy2209
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

when you say "intensive" therapy how much did he do?

Quoting ardiaxe:

I would get a second opinion, you raise a very valid point and I would be just as concerned. Apraxia of speech is a challenge, my son was diagnosed with this at a very young age, but apparently it was mild. We did intensive speech therapy from 15 months until2.5. He had a very hard time with two syllable words. At 4 he is doing well. I would probably want to avoid the technological help as well, what would be his motive to talk if he has something talking for him? Although, If he is suffering and frustrated then it may be a relief too. Difficult decision!!!

alexmommy2209
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM

BUMP!

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM
You make a very good point. How much therapy is he getting? You said twice a week but for how long?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting alexmommy2209:

He had both an occupational and speech therapist working on speech, they came weekly. The occupational therapist worked on encouraging him to make sounds (he was silent, and didn't babble) and speech to work on words. Once we got him to the 30 word point which took lots of work, he did well. Each and every word took patience, work and technique. We did a method, forgot what it's called, but you start with the basic sound, such as "ap" for apple, then "appa"' and finally "apple".
I also got an indoor swing for him and swung him daily, which encouraged sound. I would then babble for him, sounds ridiculous, I know :) but eventually he would get excited enough to imitate the sound. He had a very hard time with vowels, cow was coo, etc. so I worked on that for hours daily. I will never forget how excited I got when he said the word "go" correctly. It's hard work and requires a ton of work, I was beyond burnt out. I considered his speech my full time job.
I don't know how severe his apraxia was, but at 4 he talks as if he never had an issue. I know that severe apraxia can be a life long struggle, especially without proper intense intervention. Luckily my sons was recognized early by a very good Occupational therapist and all of the right steps were taken from the start.
alexmommy2209
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM

he has therapy twice a week for an hour each day

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

You make a very good point. How much therapy is he getting? You said twice a week but for how long?

alexmommy2209
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

i am very lucky because he at least tries to speak

Quoting ardiaxe:

Quoting alexmommy2209:

He had both an occupational and speech therapist working on speech, they came weekly. The occupational therapist worked on encouraging him to make sounds (he was silent, and didn't babble) and speech to work on words. Once we got him to the 30 word point which took lots of work, he did well. Each and every word took patience, work and technique. We did a method, forgot what it's called, but you start with the basic sound, such as "ap" for apple, then "appa"' and finally "apple".
I also got an indoor swing for him and swung him daily, which encouraged sound. I would then babble for him, sounds ridiculous, I know :) but eventually he would get excited enough to imitate the sound. He had a very hard time with vowels, cow was coo, etc. so I worked on that for hours daily. I will never forget how excited I got when he said the word "go" correctly. It's hard work and requires a ton of work, I was beyond burnt out. I considered his speech my full time job.
I don't know how severe his apraxia was, but at 4 he talks as if he never had an issue. I know that severe apraxia can be a life long struggle, especially without proper intense intervention. Luckily my sons was recognized early by a very good Occupational therapist and all of the right steps were taken from the start.

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM
He may need more than that. It may not be enough for him. I know what you're going through hon, my 4 year old has severe speech issues as well.

Quoting alexmommy2209:

he has therapy twice a week for an hour each day

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexmommy2209
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

i just dont know what else we can do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN