Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Advice

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

When it comes to my child's eating healthy.Is off brand foods always the best choice even though they have artificial flavorings in there?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlbelknap35
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Even name brand stuff has that, just jdo the best you can with what you can. Not all off brand has it. Frozen fruits and veggies don't. Also I found the off brand canned veggies taste better. I see no diff in taste in cereals either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I try to stay away from all processed foods and shop the outer areas of the store. 

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

i try to stay away from any artificial anything...i cook from scratch too

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I don't imagine that off brands would have any more or less nutrition or artificial additives than the name brand.  It never hurts to read the labels, though!

Vertical15
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Like the other ladies have said it doesn't matter brand so much as just the ingredients themselves.  Whole foods are the best way to go no matter what IMO and if you can buy natural, organic thats even better.

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM

i don't think off brand is really any different than name brand.

aniyasmom2011
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I said the same thing. So much of these foods are filled with chemicals and some other things you can't pronounce. Thanks for sharing.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM

check lables but I use frozen corn not canned because the canned is so full of JUNK name brand or otherwise!
I am also the loon who makes my own bread because I was so sick of looking at what was in bread!

Ingredients
  • Ingredients
    • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    • 1/2 cup warm water
    • 3 1/2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 cup milk warm
    • Add 1/2 cup warm water to the yeast set aside then to bread maker (thrift stores have them super cheap) add the 1-cup milk then the sugar and then the salt and flour in the top of the flour make a well and add the warm water and yeast. Use dough cycle and then once stops moving take bread dough out and put in a large silver bowl and cover with a towel let double and then put in a bread pan and cook in a pre-heated 425 oven for 40-45 mins

I have used honey in place of sugar and use this basic one for all sorts of bread!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Off brands and name brands are both guilty of artificial flavorings, colorings and preservatives.
It's best to read the label on everything.

MELRN
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

this is a peeeeve of mine  I live in NY and I wish the politicians would spend as much time heckly BK amd McDonalds and more time with any company name brand or  store brand or whatever brand ..but make them stop with all the artificial stuff they put in our food...who cares what size Coke you get?   I read labels and i do buy a lot of frozen things that freeze well  I don't care what the brand is or is not  right now I have food town raspberries frozen I add to smoothies--  I do buy a lot of local fresh meat and produce 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)