Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My daugters ped's Dr said to stop giving dairy products to my 7 month old

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi my name is andrea and my daugters ped's Dr told me to stop giving her anything that has dairy in it.  Not sure what all baby food that have it in it and not sure what to look for on the lable and would it be easier to make my own baby food for her.  Any information will help   thank you

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Anything that says milk, casein, or whey are no no's. And creams and butters are dairy too. :) most baby food is the food and water and fairly safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, definitely don't give her any dairy!  At that age, her digestive system can't process milk, and it could lead to anemia, among other things. 

Most baby foods don't have dairy in them, but it's super easy to make your own.

Once my kids could get food into their own mouths, I started giving them small chunks of various foods like bananas, avocado, baked sweet potato, steamed carrot spears, etc. 

MELRN
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

at 7 months babies can't have dairy except either formula OR breast milk-  they don't have the flora in the gut to break down the milk protein and can get something called NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis)  formula i dairy but the proteins are processed in a way that is tolerable to their gut-- so no yogurt, cheese milk)  but just baby food like stage one carrots  won't have dairy in them----

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Just cook and mash up your own veggies for baby foods.  Formula or breast milk should be her main source of nutrition with the other foods to experiment with.   Why did he tell you to stop dairy?  Did the baby develop an allergy?

andy0810
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

the GI went in and did a biopsy of her stomach and esophagus and they show were she has an allergy to something so he switched her formula to nutramigen but that was all he said so when i talked to her pediatrician about the formula since it is for cows milk allergy i asked about other foods that have dairy in them like mashed potatoes and stuff that you can feed an 7 month old which her dr said she could have cause it doesn't have a lot of it in it so have to all that and the pediatrician want her to go to and allergist now but the GI just said to switch her formula and  that was it so just looking for  info thank you 

Homeschoolmom99
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

All you need is a crock-pot to make baby food

www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/simple_baby_food_recipe.htm

The simple things in life are often the best and in this case, fruits and vegetables offer the simplest and most nutritious food your baby can have.

MELRN
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I make the butternut squash soup on this web site OMG it is sooo good

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Most of your stage one foods will be dairy free. I found it easier to make my own anyway.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Most baby foods, at least stage 1, should be dairy free, but much safer and cheaper to make your own.

balagan_imma
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM
In this case listen to the GI. I had dairy sensitive babies. I couldn't have anything with any form of dairy (we ebf'd.) And any formula that they did get was soy. The nutramigen is broken down in a way that even dairy sensitive babies often can handle it. Or you can call and ask the GI about soy. No dairy - cheeses, caseins, lactose, lactase, milk, yogurt. There are other terms for dairy that is more hidden, but you would have to google those because it's been over 5 years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)