Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Flu Shot?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM
  • 42 Replies

My son is fully vaccinated, but I don't ever get him the optional shots like the flu shot. I'm not comfortable with them, because the flu shot made me pretty sick. The doctor recently reccommended I let go of my reservatiosn of the flu shot and start getting it for my son because his Reactive Airways is getting worse and he's getting sick a lot. What would you do? What are your thoughts of flu shots? Got any information about flu shots? 

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM

If he has compromised air ways I would think long and hard about it. What is your sons age?  Dd is 6 and has never had flu shot but she doesnt have breathing issues either.

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:56 AM

He's only 3. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

If he has compromised air ways I would think long and hard about it. What is your sons age?  Dd is 6 and has never had flu shot but she doesnt have breathing issues either.

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

If he hasnt had one yet, I seriously wouldnt get it for him.   My guy suffered from chronic pneumonia as a child so that is one he will get now in adulthood.  Flu shots make us sick as well.

Quoting Nicholy10:

He's only 3. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM

He has never had one. He has had bacterial pnuemonia, he spent last Easter in the hospital with that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

If he hasnt had one yet, I seriously wouldnt get it for him.   My guy suffered from chronic pneumonia as a child so that is one he will get now in adulthood.  Flu shots make us sick as well.

Quoting Nicholy10:

He's only 3. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

TerriC
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I let the Dr. give my DD a flu shot when she was younger, she got so sick.  I will never do one again and neither will my girls.

zadesmom1998
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:36 AM
My boys got the flu mist two years ago neither got sick. Last year they got the shot and ds 14 got a minor case. I have been getting one for 10 years because of my immune system and I've never gotten sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

My kids always get the flu shot and one gets the mist-no issues whatsoever.

kellynh
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM
I don't do flu shots!!!
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

We don't do the flu shot.  However, we also don't have respiratory issues.  So you definitely have to weigh the pros and cons.

Have you thought of taking him to a chiropractor?  I have a friend whose daughter had horrific asthma - even with the flu shot, she would typically be hospitalized at least once every winter.  But since she started seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis, she hasn't had to be hospitalized! 

Good luck!

mommaslilmen
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM
We refuse flu shots. If my sons dr told me that I would ask for other options or if anything can do at home. My oldest has asthma but seems to be more with his seasonal allergies. Its still "new" to us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)