Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is fully vaccinated, but I don't ever get him the optional shots like the flu shot. I'm not comfortable with them, because the flu shot made me pretty sick. The doctor recently reccommended I let go of my reservatiosn of the flu shot and start getting it for my son because his Reactive Airways is getting worse and he's getting sick a lot. What would you do? What are your thoughts of flu shots? Got any information about flu shots? 

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
.Angelica.
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

i don't vaccinate. I would suggest doing lots of research on the flu shot before you make your decision.

happy2bmom25
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM

in most states all vaccines are optional.

i would explore other things before going to a vaccine.

i would cut dairy completely out and see if that helps.

i would see a chiropractor weekly or more to keep the nervous system(which controls everything) functioning at its best.

i would seek out an accupuncturist

i would seek out a homeopath

i would try these things in this order as well, least invasive to most invasive.

happy2bmom25
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM

have you ever cut dairy from her diet? my friend used an inhaler all the time and then finally she had a baby with a milk allergy, so she quit dairy and also her inhaler!

i know another woman that quit eating meat, and got to give up her inhaler as well.

typical household cleaners can cause asthma. cleaning with vinegar and baking soda can help those with asthma.

austrailia has a breathing exercise program that nearly eliminates inhaler usage as well.

there are sooo many options out there that may take some effort, but they do not add medicines (toxins) to your daughter's system, which is obviously over burdened to begin with.

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Never had issues with the flu shot. My daughter has asthma...and its not worth the risk for me to NOT give her the flu shot.

karamille
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If he has reactive airway (the new term for asthma when they aren't ready to lable it yet) you really should do it.  If you kid is healhty and has no breathing issues, i think its not necessary a shot at all..  But with asthma/RA kids, you really should do it.  You never know when their mild asthma is going to cross over to the big ugly acute life threatening asthma attacks.  My youngest had very mild RA just during allergy season or bad colds.  Then he had life threatening asthma attack two weeks ago during a bad respiratory illness..  It was horrible.  He lost consiousness.  His lips turned blue - i am still having nightmares about it.  Better err on the side of caution and take the flu shot.  If you can prevent even ONE illness (in this case influenza) in an asthma/RA kid, its worth it.  

NananRaysmom
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM
She doesn't have much dairy...

As far as the rest..no. We eat meat and use household cleaners...and I don't have an issue givng her the flu..or any other shot. I don't see it as a toxin that will be bad or her. I understand some people think that way...but I'm going to continue to give it to her.

Quoting happy2bmom25:

have you ever cut dairy from her diet? my friend used an inhaler all the time and then finally she had a baby with a milk allergy, so she quit dairy and also her inhaler!

i know another woman that quit eating meat, and got to give up her inhaler as well.

typical household cleaners can cause asthma. cleaning with vinegar and baking soda can help those with asthma.

austrailia has a breathing exercise program that nearly eliminates inhaler usage as well.

there are sooo many options out there that may take some effort, but they do not add medicines (toxins) to your daughter's system, which is obviously over burdened to begin with.

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Never had issues with the flu shot. My daughter has asthma...and its not worth the risk for me to NOT give her the flu shot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MELRN
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I selectively vaccinate.  My kids do not get seasonal flu shot and neither do I.  when you immunize you boost your immune responce for a period of time...with seasonal flu shot that time period is NO MORE then 10 months-- when you actually get the real flu you have LIFELONG immunity.  I am young and healthy for the most part and so are my kids-- at this time in their young lives  I would rather them get the exposure they need and when they are old and they have chronic illnesses then go ahead.

you don't help a 3 year old immunity by getting the flu shot-- your pediatrician will get a bonus from medicare/medicaid initative  IF they have a 90% vaccination rate among their clients

you only reduce the risk of your son getting the flu by about 10% through vaccination.

so you need to weigh you're risk benefit----

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PrincessZ20:

We don't do the flu shot.  However, we also don't have respiratory issues.  So you definitely have to weigh the pros and cons.

Have you thought of taking him to a chiropractor?  I have a friend whose daughter had horrific asthma - even with the flu shot, she would typically be hospitalized at least once every winter.  But since she started seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis, she hasn't had to be hospitalized! 

Good luck!

This ^^^^^ I agree completely with all of it.

meglennox
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

i've only gotten the flu shot for myself twice in my life. i had my oldest when he was 3 get the flu shot. i think, if it's offered for the boys, i may get it for them. my youngest was hospitalized in december when he was 6months for rsv and has had breathing issues several times since. 

FrugalFairy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

How is life-long immunity of any use when the virus mutates so rapidly?

Quoting MELRN:

when you immunize you boost your immune responce for a period of time...with seasonal flu shot that time period is NO MORE then 10 months-- when you actually get the real flu you have LIFELONG immunity. 

LOswald0314
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM

We get them every year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)