Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My son is fully vaccinated, but I don't ever get him the optional shots like the flu shot. I'm not comfortable with them, because the flu shot made me pretty sick. The doctor recently reccommended I let go of my reservatiosn of the flu shot and start getting it for my son because his Reactive Airways is getting worse and he's getting sick a lot. What would you do? What are your thoughts of flu shots? Got any information about flu shots? 

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
DomsMom8207
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM
The flu shot cant make u sick it is a inactive virus, ppl often think they got sick cuz of thd shot but thats impossible although the flu mist is active virus my son gets a runny nose after he gets his flu mist but it has kept him from getting the flu bad and i get the shot and i will definately be getting one again soon. I would suggest u get him the shot it wont get him sick like u think. Good luck

toddler boy

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

What people do not realize is that these physicians get a portion of money from every flu shot they push off onto their patients. Why would you deliberately inject your body with those chemicals. I work for the State Department (the ones who make those flu shots) and I do not get them for me or my family.

Nicholy10
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I'm not saying it made me sick as in gave me the flu, I know that's impossible. I had a reaction to the shot that made me ill, as in all sorts of fun, not flu. 

Quoting DomsMom8207:

The flu shot cant make u sick it is a inactive virus, ppl often think they got sick cuz of thd shot but thats impossible although the flu mist is active virus my son gets a runny nose after he gets his flu mist but it has kept him from getting the flu bad and i get the shot and i will definately be getting one again soon. I would suggest u get him the shot it wont get him sick like u think. Good luck

DomsMom8207
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Quoting Nicholy10:

Well in that case i wouldnt get it again either but if ur son didnt have a reaction then i see no harm in getting it for him. Im a true believer in the shots and mist. And im paranoid when it comes to what my son gets, and his dr didnt push any flu shot or mist on me i had to call for it. Good luck to u n ur son.

toddler boy

FrugalFairy
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM

How much do they get and from whom? Are they reimbursed for unused doses? Links please :)

Also, pharmaceutical companies make flu vaccines, not state departments...

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

What people do not realize is that these physicians get a portion of money from every flu shot they push off onto their patients. Why would you deliberately inject your body with those chemicals. I work for the State Department (the ones who make those flu shots) and I do not get them for me or my family.

MELRN
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

it recycles in the current form about every 20-25 years  that is how--

so the swine flu of a few years ago was the exact same one as 1976

bird flu is a replica of a 1940  strain.......  when you have natural immunity  if the virus mutates  your body will still recognize it and fight it with out mounting full blown  illness  .... and there is cross immunity in natural disease process...example.....   my mom had german measals  when she was a child full blown....  when I was 17 I had the chicken pox full blown followed by my sister and my aunt...my mother never caught the chicken pox  and no one could understand why ...... my moms cardiologist though explained it to her .... when you have a fullminent immune responce to a viral infection it protectes you agains MANY others for a life time ...so her exposure to chicken pox  turned into immunity  without disease because of previous full illness to a different virus...  this is a commonly occuring event in anyone who successfully fights off viral illness .....

Bob192
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

My oldest got sick with the liquid flu vaccine, so we always get her the shot now.  No problems so far with that.

sunshinepraying
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
We all get the flu shots. I figure if we are going to get sick, I'd rather we get sick off the shot than feel even worse off the actual flu.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM

ingredients in the flu shots:

Quote:

Influenza (Afluria):

beta-propiolactone, thimerosol (multi-dose vials only), monobasic sodium 

phosphate, dibasic sodium phosphate, monobasic potassium phosphate, 

potassium chloride, calcium chloride, sodium taurodeoxycholate, 

neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B, egg protein 

Quote:

Influenza (Fluarix) 

sodium deoxycholate, formaldehyde, octoxynol-10 (Triton X-100), 

α-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate, polysorbate 80 (Tween 80), 

hydrocortisone, gentamicin sulfate, ovalbumin

Quote:

Influenza (Fluvirin) 

nonylphenol ethoxylate, thimerosal (multidose vial–trace only in prefilled 

syringe), polymyxin, neomycin, beta-propiolactone, egg proteins 

Quote:

Influenza (Flulaval) 

thimerosal, α-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate, polysorbate 80, 

formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate, ovalbumin

Quote:

Influenza (Fluzone: 

Standard, High-Dose, & 

Intradermal) 

formaldehyde, octylphenol ethoxylate (Triton X-100), sodium phosphate, 

gelatin (standard formulation only), thimerosal (multi-dose vial only) , 

egg protein 

Quote:

Influenza (FluMist) 

ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA), monosodium glutamate, 

hydrolyzed porcine gelatin, arginine, sucrose, dibasic potassium 

phosphate, monobasic potassium phosphate, gentamicin sulfate, egg 

protein

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/excipient-table-2.pdf

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

and unfortunately for some people, the 'sickness' from the shot lasts a lifetime...a lifetime of debilitating life altering issues from a vaccine...i've seen it happen too many times to count. 

Quoting sunshinepraying:

We all get the flu shots. I figure if we are going to get sick, I'd rather we get sick off the shot than feel even worse off the actual flu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)