Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Would you be mad? WWYD?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM
  • 21 Replies
My 4 year old cannot have red dye, it makes him go nuts. He attends a special education preschool and they are aware of this. It's on his forms and I've informed his teacher. Every day they have snack. They can either buy their snack or bring their own. On today's menu it said cereal bar. Last week they also had this one day and he was given a cinnamon toast one. Today he said he was given a red and green one. And he was nuts from the time we picked him up. In the car he was throwing things, kicking the chair, telling his father to be quiet. He had a meltdown because he wasn't allowed a lollipop. At dinner he finger painted with his ranch dressing, then decided to start spitting on his plate and the floor. He was crazy and nothing calmed him down. This is what happens when he gets red dye. Now, the school can't use the excuse that that particular cereal bar was all they had because last week we took in an entire case of animal crackers for situations like this or if a kid forgot their snack/didn't have money for one. So there was another option. Ds is also aware that he can't have red dye but said he forgot to ask them. Not that it should all fall on a 4 year old's shoulders. I get that mistakes happen but... We will be talking to the school tomorrow to remind them so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I'd be upset as well,hope it is an isolated incident.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask for an IEP or a 504 education plan. I would also get the Dr on board and have him/her write down on a script pad that your DS is ALERGIC to red dye and remind them that if this was a child who had a peanut allergy and they where acting in such a manner they could kill the child. I would list that my child is ONLY to be given the snack I send and then daily you send said snack. Simple as that.

Wish2Be
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I would be pretty pissed off at the school too...I mean what has to happen for them to understand that red dye is not acceptable?

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM

That's frustrating!  Alex has a similar reaction to food coloring - there have been times the effects will last 2 days. 

I'd definitely talk to the school and find out what happened and what needs to be done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Good luck!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I would be pretty hot. Especially since he's enrolled in a special ed pre-school. They should really be better about that sort of thing.

meglennox
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM

i would be irritated for sure, mad not so much. i would do what you said, talk to the school and remind.

TerriC
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yes, I would be mad and I certainly would take care of it.

sukainah
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I'd be angry about that, did you have a talk with them yet?

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I would be upset as well and talking to them about it.  While with your son it caused crazy and frustrating behavior if they did that with another child with more severe allergies that child could have died so they need to be much more aware of allergies and much more careful. 

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Oh yeah, and since it is an issue I would send his snack each day and not have him buy it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)