Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son just got his tonsils out yesterday. He seemed to be doing really good. He was drinkng and now he wont drink he wont even talk. He just cries. He is 4 he has had a sinusflush adnoids out ad tubes and never had this problem. Should i be worried? The doctors said he would probably bounce right back and only give him tylonal and his anitbotic. Nothing i do seems to help!

He is doing better. Drinking more still not eatng. He has been drinking homemade milkshakes. Its hard finding things he can have that dont have any corn in it. He did get up today and play with his dog so thats a good sign!

So for mistakes i am my ipad and it sucks at typing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Today is day 6, and Alex is just now finally starting to eat.  He'd have the occasional apple sauce or soup before, and half a cheese quesadilla a few days ago.

I'm glad yours is drinking more at least - that's a definite step in the right direction :)

Quoting emiller3321:

Thank you he has up his drinking,but really doesnt eat hopefully by tomorrow he will

Quoting PrincessZ20:

My 5 year old, Alex, just had his tonsils and adenoids out Monday!  The first morning he did well, then that afternoon and the next day were miserable.  He would barely drink, and didn't eat at all.

They had given him IV fluids during and after the procedure, so when I talked to the nurses on Tuesday, they said he should be fine for the first two days, but if he still wasn't drinking more by Wednesday to bring him in.  Thank goodness, he started drinking more before it got to that. They also said that as long as he was peeing, he was fine.  I think he ended up only going 2-3 times those first 2 days.

Popsicles are where he ended up getting a lot of his fluids from.  He didn't really start eating them until Tuesday night though. I also got him Powerade instead of water, since he really wasn't drinking very much. 

Alex was prescribed Lortab for the pain - our ENT said that a lot of doctors now are just going with OTC stuff, though.  But it might be worth a call to get something stronger for your little guy.  Once that medicine gets in his system, he's a whole different person.  By today, he's actually eating real foods - not a lot, and it's still super soft stuff, but it's better than popsicles, applesauce, and soup. 

It's also important to stay ahead of the pain - we were waking him up every 4 hours the first 2 nights to redose him with the pain meds before it started to hurt again.  Now he's going 6-7 hours between doses and able to go all night without a new dose, so he's definitely starting to feel better.

Our ENT said to allow 7-10 days for recovery, and Alex's teachers said that their students tend to be out about a week or so. 

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

balagan_imma
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM

If you want to sneak a little nutrition into him - milkshake! you can add some chocolate protein powder and then he's "eating" while he is drinking.

I had my tonsils out at 18. Found out that grandma was holding out on me all those years and made a really good milkshake. It kept me going for close to a week. It hurts to drink and then it gets dry and hurts more because you aren't drinking. Nasty cycle. It will get better the more he keeps it wet and lubed. Even little sips every 10 minutes.

Bmat
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I agree about calling the doctor.  Try ice packs on his throat, and see if you can get him to sip iced beverages.

msjoecool
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

DD1 had her tonsils and adenoids out when she was two.  The ENT and clinic staff told me she'd do great and recover quickly.  She got through the surgery fine.  Then we had two VERY miserable weeks.  She was lethargic and in pain.  It was a struggle to get her to drink anything or suck on popsicles.  We got through it, though.

Hugs! 

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

How is he doing today?

emiller3321
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
He is drinking more! But still wont eat been giving him milkshakes but its hard on foods and drinks to give him because he cant have corn syrup corn starches or corn period.but his color is back so thats a good sign

Quoting new_mom808:

How is he doing today?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShandellsBaby
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

when my boys had theirs tonsils taken out their ENT gave them liquid lortab and they were taking it every 4 hours. on day 5 and 6 was the worst for my oldest son but my youngest son was feeling better by day 5.

emiller3321
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM
I asked if there is anything they could giver him they said just tylonal ill have to try to call them back.

Quoting ShandellsBaby:

when my boys had theirs tonsils taken out their ENT gave them liquid lortab and they were taking it every 4 hours. on day 5 and 6 was the worst for my oldest son but my youngest son was feeling better by day 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM

How about smoothies?
I made one yesterday with fresh baby spinach, a banana, milk, blueberries, flax meal and a 1/2 tsp of agave  nectar.  It was really good, a complete meal, and all anyone could taste was bananas.

Quoting emiller3321:

He is drinking more! But still wont eat been giving him milkshakes but its hard on foods and drinks to give him because he cant have corn syrup corn starches or corn period.but his color is back so thats a good sign

Quoting new_mom808:

How is he doing today?

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I'm glad to hear he's drinking more!  Just remember that dairy can increase the amount of phleghm - that was a big problem with Alex, that he'd get really phleghmy and have a hard time breathing. 

Today is day 7 for us, and Alex is onto just Tylenol and the perkiest I've seen him in days!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)