Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Lately when I pick up my 3 year old, he has smelled funny, pretty bad, actually. I couldnt figure it out what the issue was. He has a bath nightly, we brush his teeth, and his clothes are clean. 

So I noticed that he has had a lot of ear discharge. I picked him up today and I put my nose close to his ear (I was going to kiss him on the side of his face).. and EWWWW.. that is where the smell is coming from. Its awful... really really awful. Does the discharge and the horrible smell coming from his ear indicate an ear infection. 

I should also mention he has tubes in his ears. 

JOIN US ON:

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Replies (11-19):
karamille
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I would definitely take him in to determine if its bacterial or fungal.  I knew a kid who had a fungal ear infection that was smelly.   Its a totally different kind of infection that needs a different medication. 

KristinRox
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor gave me EYE drops for his ears??? I dunno. She says that the tubes are doing their job, because he has a horrible ear infection, and none of the fluids are building up. But the smell is AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. My whole house reaks of rotten ear fluids. Im going to call the ENT on Monday to see what they say. 

Quoting karamille:

I would definitely take him in to determine if its bacterial or fungal.  I knew a kid who had a fungal ear infection that was smelly.   Its a totally different kind of infection that needs a different medication. 

JOIN US ON:

MamaBear2cubs
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Oh no.

Bob192
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Our ENT said for us to just use anitbotic drops also (that we got after surgery).  He said we didn't have to use anything else.  It sounds as if your son's is pretty bad though!  Hope you are able to find the answers you need!!

Quoting KristinRox:

I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor gave me EYE drops for his ears??? I dunno. She says that the tubes are doing their job, because he has a horrible ear infection, and none of the fluids are building up. But the smell is AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. My whole house reaks of rotten ear fluids. Im going to call the ENT on Monday to see what they say. 

Quoting karamille:

KristinRox
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I was never given any antibiotic drops after his surgery... so I dont have those to fall back on :(

Quoting Bob192:

Our ENT said for us to just use anitbotic drops also (that we got after surgery).  He said we didn't have to use anything else.  It sounds as if your son's is pretty bad though!  Hope you are able to find the answers you need!!

Quoting KristinRox:

Quoting karamille:

JOIN US ON:

mrswillie
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I would take him to the doctor. The tubes can come out on their own. Dsd had them put in 3 different times.

kellynh
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Did he get seen today? Good luck!!
KristinRox
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

He got seen on Friday at the clinic. They said that the tubes were doing their job, but they were starting to get mucked up with the fluids. His ENT wasnt in the office today because some sort of family thing... so hopefully tomorrow Ill talk to someone from there to get a second opinion. 

Quoting kellynh:

Did he get seen today? Good luck!!

JOIN US ON:

saraface5383
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

eeek, i have never run into that. sounds like drainage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)