Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else's child do this?

My 11 1/2 month old son is still not eating stage 3 foods or any type of food for that matter that is even somewhat thick or chunky. He will literally gag and has gave me a scare a few different times when I've tried giving him something that isn't completely pureed, he starts choking for a few seconds so I'm scared to death to give him num num cookies or the little puff's. He would def choke if i was to just put one of those in his mouth, he acts like he doesn't know what to do with it, like he doesn't understand the concept of using his teeth to chew yet. He already has 7 teeth, 4 on top and 3 on bottom. His first Bday will be on Oct 6th and I don't see him being able to dig into a birthday cake like most 1 yr olds do by that age.

I've talked to his pediatrican and she says to try num num's but she doesn't understand that he will definitely choke on those right now. She says if he had an actual swallowing problem that he wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything at all so she doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong w/him, but she couldn't really give me an answer on why he's not able to eat things that most babies his age are eating.

I don't know if it's related but I know when he was an infant he use to choke quite a bit during a feeding of a bottle and sometimes just start kind of choking/coughing when he was just laying there in his swing or on the floor. Even now sometimes when he's drinking out of his sippy cup he seems to get choked. How old was your child when they first learned to eat more chunky/hard things or any type of food they had to actually chew and swallow, like puff's, num num cookies, peas, tiny pieces of chicken? Just wondering if I'm the only one who's went through this.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Replies (11-16):
diapersnob
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I would go ahead and try the puffs and chunkier soft food, he will gag, but he isn't choking. Don't panic or react negatively because this can just encourage picky eating later on. Just smile and encourage him and support him and praise him. This should help him relax. Also, is he sitting straight up or reclined? He needs to be straight up. You can get those finger tooth brushes (a sleeve that goes over your finger) at baby stores and practice oral sensation with him (running the brush side along his gums and tongue). Also, get him a vibrating toy to chew on. That will help with oral stimulation also. The more he becomes aware of and confident with his oral muscles and abilities, the more he will be able to control that gag reflex. A speech or occupational therapist can help you with this as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lcherniske
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM
This is also things the feeding therapist had us do. I just forgot. Excellent ideas.

Quoting diapersnob:

I would go ahead and try the puffs and chunkier soft food, he will gag, but he isn't choking. Don't panic or react negatively because this can just encourage picky eating later on. Just smile and encourage him and support him and praise him. This should help him relax. Also, is he sitting straight up or reclined? He needs to be straight up. You can get those finger tooth brushes (a sleeve that goes over your finger) at baby stores and practice oral sensation with him (running the brush side along his gums and tongue). Also, get him a vibrating toy to chew on. That will help with oral stimulation also. The more he becomes aware of and confident with his oral muscles and abilities, the more he will be able to control that gag reflex. A speech or occupational therapist can help you with this as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Wyatt was 6 mths and eating Cheerios and many other things. He's almost 10 mths now.
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM

He needs a neurological evaluation--he may have nerve damage or hypotonicity in the muscles around his mouth, tongue, esophagus, etc.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

We started w/ puffs because they dissolve so fast.
Oh, and we loved these, because we knew he couldnt choke.
I really cant remember how old he was when we started the finger foods; it seems like around 10 months, but every baby is different.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Pack-Fresh-Feeder-Colors/dp/B000GK5XY2

PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, my daughter had a really pronounced gag reflex and would gag on ANYTHING with texture until she was about 14 months or so.  She would gag on mashed potatos.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)