Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

SMO help

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son has always had a Hip antiversion where his hips are rotated to much. Well we've seen Orthopedist twice and both times said just let it go till he's 8 and if not better then we will see what can be done. Son now shes a neurologist for headaches and restless legs, and was referred to PT. PT has said that we do indeed need therapy and he will also be getting SMO braces. I am not worried about the braces as i cared for child with AFO, my concern is my son adjusting to them and accepting them. He's 3 so this is going to be a change for him, does anyone have any ideas to get him used to them?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

When Alex was 3, he had to be hospitalized with a respiratory infection.  They got him to not fight the IV by telling him it was a "Spider Man" hand - maybe try telling him it's something cool like that?

Good luck! 

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Is he in any discomfort? Maybe telling him the braces are like a big bandaid will help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I've never dealt with them but good luck.

karamille
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM

We did SMOs and AFOs.  Ike tolerated them really well.  He got to pick the color/pattern of them, which made it fun for him

mrswillie
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PrincessZ20:

When Alex was 3, he had to be hospitalized with a respiratory infection.  They got him to not fight the IV by telling him it was a "Spider Man" hand - maybe try telling him it's something cool like that?

Good luck! 

Great idea! When I to ds to caverns he got scared. I told him it was Batman's Cave and he loved it!

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

slw123
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I don't have any suggestions, but good luck.

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I haven't ever had to use anything like that but good luck. 

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM

i'm not sure. maybe just tell him that they are being put on to help him. good luck.

savillemommy
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

we have been hospitalized many t imes and we do the same thing with the IV its spiderman :) I am thinking him getting to choose what design will help some; i've showed him pics and he seems to be ok with them. Thanks

IQuitCounting
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Love this!  Turn them into super legs, like bionic braces!  Might also help if there's someway he gets to help decorate them... not sure if that's possible but something to look into?

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN