Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Need some advice - school related!

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM
  • 14 Replies

Moms,

So here's my quandry -- it's kind of a big one (at least for me).  I'll set the scene as it were and then ask my question.

My little girl (4) goes to preschool 3 days a week.  She seemed to be fine on Friday; Saturday morning she was complaining of a sore throat and she was tired and cranky (not her normal self). Late in the am noticed that she had a midgrade fever; at around noon checked her temperature and it was 102.4 (checked four different times to make sure!) I did call the ped on call at the ER.  Dr. Vicki told me it was either 1) cold or 2) croup.  I wound up having to go to work as my boss (this is my second job) could not find someone to cover for me.... but thankfully my husband was able to get his boss to let him go early so he could come home with the kids.

I came home late Saturday from my job, she seemed to be sleeping ok.  At some point in the middle of the night she'd come into our room -- found myself not able to sleep at all from that point.  She was definitely having some wheezing issues. In the morning her voice was hoarse, and she had the barking cough (which had confirmed my suspicion that she had croup.)  Thank the Maker her high grade fever had broken early in the am.  A bit later in the day she had another low grade, but it didn't last long.  As of last night (Sunday night) she seemed to be feeling quite a bit better, though we are definitely going to make sure she takes naps and rests today and tomorrow for sure.

OK so now onto my question... My husband is off of work today and tomorrow so I have CC covered. I have not felt sick at all.  BUT I also work at a school.  I work at the local high school, and I'm supposed to be at work at 8 am this morning.  Normally I think I would just take a shower right before I leave and put on clean clothes straight out of a hot dryer after I'd already done her kisses goodbye so I know I'm as clean as I can be.

However, my predicament is compounded by the fact that the room I work in is with special needs kids, and I don't know whether any of them have immune systems compromised enough that they'd get something just from me being around my daughter.  My question is: Should I go to work or should I stay at home? I want to go to my job, I love working with the kids, and I know from reading up that croup rarely affects kids and adults over the age of 6.... but I want to make sure my kids (my kids in class) are going to be safe, and not go through what my little girl has been!

I did call my teacher yesterday (I'm an aide in the classroom) to ask her advice -- she did not know what I should do.  I agreed to come into work as usual tomorrow and try to ask someone.  But of course I don't want to go into the room even if I'm risking making all of my kids sick :{ What should I do?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so very very much for the advice in advance!

Adie

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I think asking someone once you get there before you go into the classroom is the best bet.  =-)

Bazora
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Thanks -- we have a brand new teacher this year and I called her to ask her advice yesterday, but she wasn't able to give me an answer.  I ultimately sent an email to the school principal explaining the situation and asking her for advice, so I'm hoping to hear back from her.  I'm going to get showered and dressed and go to school as usual, but I am worried about even going into the classroom unless I know it's going to be safe (especially since some of our students have compromised immune systems).

MamaBear2cubs
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I agree.

Quoting TerriC:

I think asking someone once you get there before you go into the classroom is the best bet.  =-)

slw123
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

This is my thought.....

We all carry around airborne 'things' all the time.  Some make us sick, most don't.  You can't predict the future and you can't stay home every time you are around someone who is sick.  You SHOULD stay home if you are ill though. 

Those kids are in school with other kids.  Kids have germs.  I imagine that if any of the kids were immune compromised, their parents would have made sure you knew it.  Aside from the fact that if MY child were immune compromised, they wouldn't go to school.......

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I don't know a lot about croup and how contagious it is but I am guessing it may be like a common cold in that it is contagious if you are sick and cough on somebody maybe?  If that is the case I would say you would be fine going to work.  Good luck though because I really don't know. 

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Quoting slw123:

This is my thought.....

We all carry around airborne 'things' all the time.  Some make us sick, most don't.  You can't predict the future and you can't stay home every time you are around someone who is sick.  You SHOULD stay home if you are ill though. 

For the most part, I agree with this.  The only part that makes me hesitate is the kids you're working with.  However, if you stayed home every time you might have something, you wouldn't be able to leave the house!

What did the principal end up saying?

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM

i agree with slw123

kellynh
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM
You should go unless you have signs of an infection yourself.
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

What did the principal say?
I would have gone in and asked the principal for her thoughts before entering the classroom.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I think I would ask the school nurse what she thinks.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)