Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Easy dinners?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

What are some of the ways you make dinner easier? 

I know that in this stage of pregnancy, nothing sounds good to me, which makes making dinner that much more difficult! 

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I'm in a freezer dinner group with 5 friends.  Once a month, we each make 6 of the same meal, then get together to exchange.  So we cook once, and get 6 meals out of it!

We met yesterday and got some really good stuff - island pork for the crock pot, lasagna rolls, florentine pasta, Skyline chili, Greek chicken, and honey sesame chicken. 

It's so nice to be able to grab something from the freezer and toss it in the crock pot or oven and not have any real work to do! 

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I have several crock pot meals that I really like and are pretty easy.
Spagetti, Sloppy Joe, even homemade is super easy, wraps, Let me see if I can post some links to recipes I like.

egyptian_mommy
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I hear you! I'm 13 weeks today and feeling pretty Bleh. And meat and some veggies are tricky for me this time. Anyway on to food. Tonight I made portobella ravioli in a sundried tomato alfredo sauce. I cheated and used frozen pasta and jarred sauce. But it fed us and it was easy. And the kids cleaned their plates. Soup and sandwiches is another easy one. Pasta is pretty simple. Breakfast for dinner too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
Source: Sweet Treats and More

Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite Caesar dressing (I like Cardini's and Brianna's Asiago Caesar)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (if you don't have fresh use around 2 teaspoons of dried parsley)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
12 slider buns or 4-6 regular sized hamburger buns

Instructions:
1. Place chicken in a 3-4 quart slow cooker with 1-2 cups of water, cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

2. Remove chicken from cooker using a slotted spoon and drain the water from the slow cooker. Place chicken on a cutting board and pull chicken into shreds, discarding any fat.

3. Place chicken back in the cooker and pour dressing, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper over the top. I really make sure that I discard any fat pieces so by the time I was done I only used about 1/2 cup of dressing but you make need more if you have more chicken. Stir until mixed evenly. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot.

4. Spoon 1/4 cup mixture onto each slider bun if you are making sliders or more for regular sized buns. Top with extra shredded Parmesan cheese and lettuce to serve.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Fiesta Chicken
Source: RecipeZaar

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts, frozen or thawed
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) jar of your favorite salsa
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

Instructions:
Take 4 frozen, yes, frozen (or thawed), boneless chicken breasts put into crock pot. Add 1 can of black beans, drained, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can of corn drained. Keep in crock pot on low for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked. Once it is cooked, take it out and shred it. Return shredded chicken to the crockpot.

Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let sit for about 1/2 hour. It may look at little strange at this point. Don't worry. Stir in the cream cheese.

Serve over rice or in warm flour tortillas.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM

My husband doesnt like edamame, so we substituted lima beans.

Tortellini with Edamame and Smoked Sausage

tortellini with smoked sausage and edamame

My kids love edamame straight from the shell, and they especially like them for dinner paired with two of their other favorites: smoked sausage and tortellini.

Hands-On Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

1 pound frozen cheese tortellini
    1 cup shelled edamame*
    1 cup diced red pepper
    1 pound smoked sausage
    1/2 cup Italian dressing

Directions

1. Set 6 quarts of salted water to boil in a large pot.
  2. Meanwhile, chop red pepper and slice the smoked sausage into 1/4 inch-thick rounds.
  3. Stir-fry red pepper and sausage together until heated through -- about 5 minutes.
  4. Add tortellini to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Add edamame to water and boil for another 2 minutes. Drain tortellini and edamame well.
  6. Toss everything together with the Italian dressing and heat through one final time.
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

The Lady's Chicken Noodle Soup

The Lady's Chicken Noodle SoupThe Lady's Chicken Noodle SoupRecipe Courtesy of Paula Deen

554321Based on 38 Reviews

Servings: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients Add to grocery list

4 bay leaves
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon Paula Deen Lemon Pepper Seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 2 1/2 to 3-pound fryer (chicken), cut up
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
3 1/2 quart water
kosher salt and pepper to taste

For Step 2:
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
3/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
1/3 cup cooking sherry
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
Paula Deen Seasoned Salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
crusty french bread, for serving

Directions

For the stock: add all ingredients to a soup pot. Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Remove and discard bay leaves and onion. You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock. When chicken is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage. Set chicken aside.

For the soup: bring stock back to a boil, add carrots, and cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package. When noodles are done, add chicken, mushrooms, parsley, sherry and rosemary. Add Parmesan and cream, if using. Cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if needed, by adding seasoning salt and pepper. Enjoy along with a nice hot crusty loaf of French bread.

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I think I remember you posting this recipe before.  It sound AMAZING!

Quoting new_mom808:

Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
Source: Sweet Treats and More

Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite Caesar dressing (I like Cardini's and Brianna's Asiago Caesar)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (if you don't have fresh use around 2 teaspoons of dried parsley)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
12 slider buns or 4-6 regular sized hamburger buns

Instructions:
1. Place chicken in a 3-4 quart slow cooker with 1-2 cups of water, cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

2. Remove chicken from cooker using a slotted spoon and drain the water from the slow cooker. Place chicken on a cutting board and pull chicken into shreds, discarding any fat.

3. Place chicken back in the cooker and pour dressing, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper over the top. I really make sure that I discard any fat pieces so by the time I was done I only used about 1/2 cup of dressing but you make need more if you have more chicken. Stir until mixed evenly. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot.

4. Spoon 1/4 cup mixture onto each slider bun if you are making sliders or more for regular sized buns. Top with extra shredded Parmesan cheese and lettuce to serve.

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

That sounds delicious and easy!

Quoting new_mom808:

Fiesta Chicken
Source: RecipeZaar

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts, frozen or thawed
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) jar of your favorite salsa
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

Instructions:
Take 4 frozen, yes, frozen (or thawed), boneless chicken breasts put into crock pot. Add 1 can of black beans, drained, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can of corn drained. Keep in crock pot on low for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked. Once it is cooked, take it out and shred it. Return shredded chicken to the crockpot.

Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let sit for about 1/2 hour. It may look at little strange at this point. Don't worry. Stir in the cream cheese.

Serve over rice or in warm flour tortillas.

saraface5383
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Pasta! spaghetti is easy and something everyone will eat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN