Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Food Police!

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 18 Replies
There was a post in another group that made me curious. Do you limit and/or keep track of the things your kids eat? Do you get upset or consider it stealing if they take a snack without asking? Or on the flip side, do you give them free reign?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM

They don't have complete free reign, but we're not total sticklers either. 

I don't have a problem with them helping themselves to an apple, a banana, some grapes, a cheese stick, etc - but we do limit how many.  Seriously, my kids are bottomless pits and could eat a whole bunch of bananas, a bag of grapes, and a pack of cheese sticks in a sitting. 

They typically ask before helping themselves, though.

saraface5383
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

they have a drawer in the fridge that is theirs, it is washed fruit and waters. they have free reign of that drawer.

TonyaLea
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

My daughter is 4, and we still control what she eats.  If she would like a snack, she has to ask.  The only thing she gets by herself is water.  When she is older we may allow her to snack without prior permission.

Vertical15
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

We are somewhere in between.  I don't let them have a free for all.  THey know to ask if they are hungry and unless a meal is just around the corner they get something. 

A.J.s_mommy
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM
No. I wouldn't consider it stealing. AJ usually always asks even though I have never told him he had to ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM

He's old enough now to pretty much know what he's allowed to eat and what he needs to ask for. He has pretty much free reign of the fridge. The treats are kept on the counter or in a cupboard, and he has to ask.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
He doesn't have free reign cuz of food allergies and he can't open the fridge, lol. But I would only be upset if he was eating junk, but if it was a healthy snack I woukdnt care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
And I do keep track of what he eats but cuz he has health issues
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

My older one always asks.  Its not something I have MADE him do, he just does it on his own.  My younger one just helps himself.  He has issues gaining weight so he has no limits and can eat whatever he wants.  One of his favorite "snacks" is a mixture of salsa, full fat sour cream, and shredded cheese - he eats it with a spoon.  I have found him sitting on the kitchen floor eating this at 2am. Crazy little guy. =P   

PrincessZ20
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM
That's about how it is for us as well! Unless there's a valid reason (like it's almost meal time) they can have a snack.

Quoting Vertical15:

We are somewhere in between.  I don't let them have a free for all.  THey know to ask if they are hungry and unless a meal is just around the corner they get something. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)