Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Children Today Have the Highest Level of Developmental Delays

Posted by   + Show Post

Children Today have the highest level of development delays in THE HISTORY of mankindDevelopmental delays

In America; 43 percent of children have chronic ill-health : HERE

Development disorders effect 1 in 6 children: HERE

This study showed that 16.8% of children younger than 18 years of age have lifelong conditions arising in early childhood as a result of cognitive or physical impairment or a combination of the two.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (11-18):
PrincessZ20
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Quoting norahsmommy:

It's just diagnosed more. Yesterday's 'quiet kid' today is 'speech delayed'. The sensitive child is now on the autism spectrum.

Yes for sure!  Everything needs a label.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:29 AM

labels sell prescriptions,   pharma figured that one out....

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Quoting norahsmommy:

It's just diagnosed more. Yesterday's 'quiet kid' today is 'speech delayed'. The sensitive child is now on the autism spectrum.

Yes for sure!  Everything needs a label.

ardiaxe
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I do not believe that it's just diagnosed more, That's an excuse.
We are exposed to more pesticides than ever before. A new pesticide is being used everyday with evident neurological effects, and of course unknown. Kids are being prescribed medications for everything, an antibiotic for every sore throat, runny nose and cough. There are so many new pollutants, new preservatives, artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors. Children are exposed to more television than ever before. The vaccine schedules are devastating and the consequences are apparent. Do your research moms, look at the real statistics, don't make excuses for the truth.
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

There is a lot more in the world today that affects kids, and our bodies when we are carrying kids.  And while there are a ton of advancements, there are also always threats looming out of the darkness.

MELRN
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

let me take a few stabs at this......

green deprivation (both child and maternal)

both parents working throughout very young youth

c sections

induced labor

epidurals and early exposure to drugs and toxins

excessive immunization

all the words on the side of the box in your cupboard you can't pronounce

and my final thought setting the over all standard too high the human genome has not caught up.....  why do 5 year olds need to know how to read at level 3?  how about starting school at age 7  instead of 3 or 4  and then be intense and finish HS at age 16 or 17

ardiaxe
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Quoting MELRN:

let me take a few stabs at this......

green deprivation (both child and maternal)

both parents working throughout very young youth

c sections

induced labor

epidurals and early exposure to drugs and toxins

excessive immunization

all the words on the side of the box in your cupboard you can't pronounce

and my final thought setting the over all standard too high the human genome has not caught up.....  why do 5 year olds need to know how to read at level 3?  how about starting school at age 7  instead of 3 or 4  and then be intense and finish HS at age 16 or 17

Every child learns and develops at their own pace. How about tailoring school to meet the needs of an individual so that a child doesn't feel overwhelmed by the competition, and then made to feel like a failure when they can't keep up.
My son would be miserable if he had to wait until 7 to start school, be with his peers and learn more than I know what to teach. There are some children that indeed would benefit from waiting a bit.
TonyaLea
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Very good argument, and very well worded.  You bring up several good points.

Quoting karamille:

Its just more reported/recognised now.  I can't tell you how many older clients who come into the salon would chime in when we were talking about our kids milestones and say that their kids didn't walk until almost 2 or their child didn't start talking until after around 4 but then it was complete sentences.  I think we are just a more informed society.  Is that a good thing... well most of the yes, but we probably do get worked up as moms over things that may have worked themselves out with time.  But with that said... many of those kid who still had DD as they got a little older did drop out of school early to work in the plentiful factory jobs or family farms.   Now our kids can't do that.  They HAVE to soem type of additional training/schooling to be able to support themselves.  

MELRN
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

what I actually mean buy starting formal education when you're 6  is not that there is no education prior but instead the hands on stuff kids need to learn--so nature walks, trips to museums,  trips to the city and trips to rural areas with FAMILY and neighbors---  a trip to the VFW or to a local military base--  PYO food, fishing, grwoing a garden (yearly), raise some chickens or help a friend who does --Primal learning so that when we sit down to formally learn our ABC's  we have a wealth of knowledge already solidified .....  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN