Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

6 year old sleep issues

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 6 Replies

My six year old has never been a great sleeper - he is my oldest and I let him sleep with us for quite a while.  But he puts himself to sleep and has for years - we tuck him in, say prayers, read a story and he goes to sleep.  Then starts the night terrors - not every night but often when he seems to be having a growth spurt.  He is a big kid - not over weight - very proportionate for his height/weight - dr.'s are not concerned, but he is tall.  He complains of his legs hurting too when he is growing.

He also still tries to sleep with us several nights / week - after he wakes up.  I try to not give him much to drink at night so he doesn't have to go potty during the night but he often still does. He also has to go to the bathroom at between 5 and 5:30 every morning - it is just when he goes - always has.  then he won't go back down after that. 

Any adivce on how to keep him in his own bed?  The night terrors?  Anything that I could do to help him have a better night;'s sleep?  I don't want medications but is there anything natural that might calm him or keep him down? 

Thanks

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LuvMyBoy08
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM
My 4 year old has had night terrors for 3 years now and the only thing that has worked is lavender essential oil. I rub it on the bottoms of his feet and he sleeps more soundly.....I highly recommend it. If you need more info let me know :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM
My 5 1/2 year old started not wanting to stay in his own bed about 6 weeks ago so I know what you're going through. I wish I had some answers for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I dont think much can be done about the night terrors. There are often triggers, like being overly tired. See if you can spot those triggers. The lavender oil recomended above might be quite useful.

Staying in his bed after waking up to go to the bathroom will likely be something you just have to remain firm on until the habit is broken. A sticker / reward system could be helpful in this senario.

There are some stretches you can have him do for his leg growing pains. All 3 of my sisters kids had the same thing.
Growing pain stretches

• Lie your child on her tummy and gently hold her heel to her bottom. Get your child to lift her thigh off the floor to stretch it further. Repeat several times.
  • Lying on her tummy, get your child to bend her leg to 90 degrees at the knee then push the front of your child's foot down to stretch out her calves. Hold for a few seconds and repeat.
  • Your child lies on her back and you lift each leg gently by the heel to stretch out the hamstring. Hold for a few seconds and repeat.

There are also YouTube videos of massages for growing pains.

PrincessZ20
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM

We used bribery to get Alex to stay in his bed all night.  Every night he didn't come into our bed, he got a sticker, and when he had 7 stickers in a row, he got to go pick out a small prize. 

Good luck!!

karamille
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Max was getting up frequently int he night and it turns out he actually was experienceing sleep apnea.  We didn't have to do the sleep study... just go into his room and hour after he is fully asleep watching for any pauses or studdering of his breathing.  I can also sound like loud snoring or that they are clenching their throats.  We got an appointment with the ENT, told them what we were seeing, and they booked him that day for tonsils and adenoids.  He;s having them done on the 26th of ths month.  The ENT said he should start sleeping much better again.  

isaiahsmommy618
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

my husband has sleep apnea - son does not...at least haven't noticed the signs.  We have tried rewards....bigger concern is that he is not getting a restfull night's sleep.  Will try the stretches and oil.  Terrors have gotten better over the years but he still has them.  Thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN