Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My six year has stopped growing...

Hello,

At the age of 4 - my sone was doing well and continuing on his growth chart in the 50th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height. At his 5 year well check- a year later- he had gained 2 pounds and had not grown in height at all. The peds office blew this off as no big deal- and since he is my oldest child- I went along with it.  However, now he is 6 and we went to his 6 year well check yesterday. He has not gained any height at ALL since he was 4 and he only gained 2 pounds- he is now 13th percentile for height and 7th for weight... he is 6 and weighs 38 pounds.

He was almost a 10 pound baby born 3 weeks early! We are not small people... are two girls are actually 97th percent for height- so this is blowing my mind and I am wondering what could becausing this.

The peds office now sees this as a problem and are calling him "failure to thrive"

Of course we are now waiting to see an enocrinologist. Every year he gets a TSH, a CBC, a blood sugar check.. due to issues that I personally have- 

What do you think? Does anyone have experience with this?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Replies (21-21):
Apple1
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I think you should have his hormones tested, thyroid etc.  As well as testing him for celiac, as well as food allergies.  If you have celiac or food allergies, you can have problems digesting and then absorbing your food.  How are his BM's?  Is he complaining of stomach aches, or head aches?  Gluten or dairy could be the problem or both....I would look into seeing an experience gastroenterologist...You can also have his growth hormone tested (It's a blood test)  Often times if this is low, it can very well be gastro related...Big hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)