Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Video advocating against soda, what do you think?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think this video is effective???

The non-profit group says:  Not just a PSA, but a video created by a man who used to work FOR the agency creating the ads for Coca-Cola.  It wasn't so bad when soft drinks were the occasional treat. But now sugary drinks are the number one source of calories in the American diet. With one third of America overweight and another third obese, it's a wonder anyone is still swallowing what the soda companies are selling.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Replies (11-19):
norahsmommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Sugar is a dangerous thing when you get too much. There is no reason to drink your calories or drink sugary thins every day. It should be a rare treat, not a daily thing. Scientists are now realizing that it's not high fat diets causing heart disease and damaged arteries because cholesterol lowering medications, while lowering cholesterol, are not lowering the risk of death from blocked arteries and the like. It is chronic high blood sugar that causes damage to the arteries which enables them to be easily clogged which leads to death.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

That is really interesting.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Sugar is a dangerous thing when you get too much. There is no reason to drink your calories or drink sugary thins every day. It should be a rare treat, not a daily thing. Scientists are now realizing that it's not high fat diets causing heart disease and damaged arteries because cholesterol lowering medications, while lowering cholesterol, are not lowering the risk of death from blocked arteries and the like. It is chronic high blood sugar that causes damage to the arteries which enables them to be easily clogged which leads to death.

egyptian_mommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM
We allow it as a treat but that's it. We've even stopped keeping it in the house usually except for ginger ale which we keep on hand for my morning sickness because it works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Pretty effective.

Xandriasmommy
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM
I totally agree. I use to be a big soda drinker. January of this year I was considered borderline obese. I dropped my soda intake by half. I worked where soda was free and unless you wanted bathroom tap water you had to buy water. Anyway I dropped my soda intake by half and dropped 30lbs. I didn't change ANYTHING else, diet or exercise wise at that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Wow!!!  That is amazing!

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

I totally agree. I use to be a big soda drinker. January of this year I was considered borderline obese. I dropped my soda intake by half. I worked where soda was free and unless you wanted bathroom tap water you had to buy water. Anyway I dropped my soda intake by half and dropped 30lbs. I didn't change ANYTHING else, diet or exercise wise at that point.

Vertical15
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I shared this with my in-laws.  My MIL didn't think it was funny (she has had most of her toes on one foot removed due to diabetic complications)  But my FIL got a chuckle out of it.

I also shared it on Facebook.  Thanks!

DomsMom8207
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM
I dont drink soda n i dont give my son soda, its as simple as not drinking it or hving it in the house to kp ur kids away from it.

boy kissing mombootreat those that are older than you as your grandparents, those your own age as your brothers and sisters, and those who are younger than you as your children. the world is one big family. -master cheng yen-

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I agree that there is way too much soda consumed in this country...and even in my house.  When I grew up it was a very occasional treat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN