With winter storms coming, it may be a good idea to keep non-perishable food on hand in case you lose power, heat, or water. I saw this blog on pinterest, the author gave an example of a meal that can be prepared during an emergency, and challeneges the readers to create their own meal idea.
Lets do her challenge! What is one emergency meal kit you would prepare for your family?
Here are her suggestions:
- it doesn't require anything but a manual can opener and perhaps a bowl and spoon to mix.
- it would be ideal if the meal did not require cooking over a heat source (since you might not have one right away due to ongoing weather issues or some other reason)
- it does not require a lot of water (pasta requires a lot of precious water that may be scarce).
- it should be healthy in that it is as free from additives and sugars as possible, but still packaged for long term storage (say 6 months to a year).
- Best if it includes a protien and a veggie or fruit in each meal.
Tuna on Crackers with fruit, V8 and trail mix:
• canned tuna
• small jar of mayo
• small jar of pickle relish
• jar or bag of spices for tuna
• canned fruit
• a box of crackers
• cans of V-8 or similar vegetable drink
• trail mix packets