Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Emergency Meal Kit Challenge :)

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

With winter storms coming, it may be a good idea to keep non-perishable food on hand in case you lose power, heat, or water.  I saw this blog on pinterest, the author gave an example of a meal that can be prepared during an emergency, and challeneges the readers to create their own meal idea.

http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/2011/10/emergency-meal-kit-challenge.html

Lets do her challenge!  What is one emergency meal kit you would prepare for your family?

Here are her suggestions:

• it doesn't require anything but a manual can opener and perhaps a bowl and spoon to mix. 
  • it would be ideal if the meal did not require cooking over a heat source (since you might not have one right away due to ongoing weather issues or some other reason)
  • it does not require a lot of water (pasta requires a lot of precious water that may be scarce).
  • it should be healthy in that it is as free from additives and sugars as possible, but still packaged for long term storage (say 6 months to a year).  
  • Best if it includes a protien and a veggie or fruit in each meal.  

Her Example:

Tuna on Crackers with fruit, V8 and trail mix:

• canned tuna
• small jar of mayo
• small jar of pickle relish
• jar or bag of spices for tuna
• canned fruit
• a box of crackers
• cans of V-8 or similar vegetable drink
• trail mix packets

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

We have a wood stove, so the likelihood of not having a heating source isn't too high, but we also have an entire back pantry and shed full of canned items, both purchased and those we've canned ourselves.  We have dog and cat food stored, as well as water.

hwifeandmom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Without hot water, I think my meal choices are a bit limited, but with even a small heat source to boil water, the choices expand a lot.  For not too much money, you can add canned gelled alcohol (like you use under a chafing dish) or the old scouting Sterno (canned gelled alcohol) to put with your supplies.  If you have more money, you can get a better source of heat to cook with.  The canned, gelled alcohol is safe to use indoors, while propane and charcoal are NOT safe to use indoors.  The canned, gelled alcohol won't cook anything, but it can heat small amounts of water in a few minutes.  You can use hot water to fix a lot of instant meals.

BREAKFAST:

Cereal and milk (using boxed shelf-stable milk, such as soy milk from the $1 store; or powdered milk)

Oatmeal 

Chocolate milk (Use Nesquick or other cocoa mix; drink cold if no hot water; hot if heat source)

LUNCH or DINNER

Peanut Butter sandwiches on bread or crackers

Canned soup or stew  (eat cold or heated)

Canned baked beans and crackers

Canned spaghetti-o's

Cup O'Noodles (heat water over canned heat)

Boxed stuffing mix (heat water over canned heat)

Instant mashed potatoes

Canned fruit in juice rather than syrup

Dried fruit

Canned veggies

Freeze dried fruits or veggies (some stores carry them with regular groceries, but you can also get limited selection with baby foods).

TonyaLea
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I can cheat a little with this one.  Like Sonja, we use wood heat and have a winter's worth of wood stored.  If needed, we can cook on top of our wood stove.  We did this a few years back during a 3-day power outage.  We also are avid campers, so have a camp stove and at least 2-3 small propane bottles on hand.  Here is one meal I could make, and usually have the ingredients on hand:

6-can chicken tortilla soup

• 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 can whole kernal corn, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
  • 1 large can chunk chicken
  • taco seasoning
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:33 AM

We have several 50 lb. bags of oats, and the food pantry next door is full of shelf stable milk.  I freeze and can fruits and veggies, because we don't have much of a growing/produce season here anyway.  We have bread in the freezer, and lots of flour, yeast, and basic ingredients if I want to try baking on the woodstove :).  We have frozen and canned chicken, burger, pork, potatoes...and we have canned some "one dish" meals like chili, soup, etc.

TonyaLea
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Does it stay cold enough around you in the winter that you could keep frozen items outside if the power went out?  

I was looking through the ideas people submitted on the blog I linked, one lady's meal included hard-tack biscuits on her wood stove.  I have all the ingredients on hand, but never would have thought of trying that on our stove.  I have never had a hard-tack biscuit though...I wonder if they are appetizing. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

We have several 50 lb. bags of oats, and the food pantry next door is full of shelf stable milk.  I freeze and can fruits and veggies, because we don't have much of a growing/produce season here anyway.  We have bread in the freezer, and lots of flour, yeast, and basic ingredients if I want to try baking on the woodstove :).  We have frozen and canned chicken, burger, pork, potatoes...and we have canned some "one dish" meals like chili, soup, etc.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually.  That's how I chilled the cake pops I made the other day.  Instead of going all the way over to the storage freezers, I just stuck them in the snow on top of the woodbox.

Quoting TonyaLea:

Does it stay cold enough around you in the winter that you could keep frozen items outside if the power went out?  

I was looking through the ideas people submitted on the blog I linked, one lady's meal included hard-tack biscuits on her wood stove.  I have all the ingredients on hand, but never would have thought of trying that on our stove.  I have never had a hard-tack biscuit though...I wonder if they are appetizing. 

Quoting TigerofMu:

new_mom808
by Andrea on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I have nothing to contribute off hand, but I'm bookmarking this post. I've been really feeling like I need to have some stuff ready just in case and this will make a great starting list.

nikkik526
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
We have a wood stove and keep 5 gallon juhs of water filled all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Quoting nikkik526:

Do you keep non-perishable foods on hand too?  What are some examples of meal ingredients you keep around just in case?

nikkik526
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM
We have 4 cabnits full of caned goods (caned meats, vegs, and fruits) and boxed milk.

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting nikkik526:

Do you keep non-perishable foods on hand too?  What are some examples of meal ingredients you keep around just in case?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)