Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

What natural remedies do you use when your child suffering from a cough or fever?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 97 Replies
4 moms liked this

We gave moms a $25 gift card and asked them to purchase the Similasan Cough and Fever product for their child. Find out what our moms have to say about using natural remedies to treat their child's cough or fever.

What natural remedies do you like to use when your child has a cough or fever?

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Hi everybody!  My name is Kathleen and I am a 31 year old SAHM to three boys ages 7, 5 and 19 months and the wife to my wonderful DH for the past 8.5 years.  We are a very active family and love outdoor activities including hiking, riding our horses, team roping and just plain having fun, lol. 

We have some health issues in our family that make the fall and winter months hard for us.  First off, we live in Colorado so it gets very cold and wet here which contributes to the spread of germs and such.  My DH has suffered with asthma and allergies his whole life and he passed that on to our kids.   My oldest has some seasonal allergies and is seeming to develop a pattern of getting strep a few times a winter which we will have to watch to see if he ends up needing his tonsils out like his daddy.  My middle son has a lot of environmental allergies and a year and a half ago was diagnosed with some fairly bad asthma.  We have a very hard time controlling it in the fall and he has already had to miss 6 days of school this year for it.  Then there is my baby who has some environmental allergies and a lot of ear infections and some severe food allergies. 

Due to the fact that there are so many allergies and the asthma here we seem to catch every cold that comes along.  Last winter was miserable for all the kids as they were basically sick non-stop and this fall hasn't started out too hot either.  While we go to the doctor fairly often I am always on the look out for more natural ways to help the kids feel better because I definitely don't want them to be on medications more then they have to. 

When I see them coming down with a runny nose I make sure they are having their vitamins everyday, we are keeping things clean and sanitized and we are doing a lot of hand washing.  I keep a humidifier running in their room at night all fall and winter and change the filter regurally.  My middle son has a prescription nose spray but my oldest gets a really dry nose as well so we use the saline spray for him.  When the baby's ears hurt we try a warm wash cloth and when he is older we have a heating pad for him as well. We do end up needing to go to the doctor fairly often because of the asthma and such but we try to treat things as naturally as possible first. 

For these reasons I was really excited to be choosen for this influencer!  I am excited to recieve the Similasan Cough and Fever that I ordered and possibly be able to use it next round of colds for my older two kids(it is only for children ages 2+).  I was so excited that they sent the gift card and encouraged us not only to purchase the Similasan but to purchase other natural remedies as well so I also purchased a book called "Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide" that sounded like a wonderful way to look into more information and more natural control of the asthma and allergies in the kids.  Thank you so much Cafe Mom and Similasan for this opportunity to save the product to use for my kids this year and to find out other natural ways to help them stay well this cold and flu season!  My items are being shipped to me but here are pictures of what I ordered off Amazon.com.

Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Dr Paul Ehrlich, et al
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

cara124
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hi everyone I'm Cara a California mom of 3... DD 17 was born at 29 weeks so has very underdeveloped lungs and immune system all of her life . DS 11 has severe environmentalallergies year round . And Both tend to catch every cold/flu that goes around each year . Hand washing and wiping everything down from door handles to bathroom fixtures is important in our house.

That's why I was very Excited to be chosen for this influencer as we've already passed one cold around and are working on keeping the next one out of the house ! ..... I love that this product it made with natural ingredients . Can't wait to give it a try ! Thanks Cafemom & Similasan for the opportunity !

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM
I'm very interested to hear more on this! My son has a bad cough right now and I really want to avoid cough medicines as it is, but if I were to give something, this is more along the lines of what I'd like to use! Has anyone used it yet for a cold?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I have started using zarbees for my DD, works good without all the other added in junk

PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM

We've never tried Similasan, but I've heard great things about it! 

My boys frequently have colds but we usually just tough it out...but some nights are just miserable for all of us :(

_Kissy_
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I normally let their body take control. If that doesn't work then I turn to simpler measures from steam and cool rags. I stay away from antibiotics unless its pneumonia or bronchitis

dusky_rose
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I like to give my son vitamin C drops and mint tea with honey.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Honey and extra vit c and d
elasmimi
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Similasan has worked for us, as well as a humidifier, and sometimes honey in a cup of decaf tea.

jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM

a humidifier with vapor rub liquid , and I would try this Similasan cough and fever reducer ... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN