Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

I need to vent - no good deed goes unpunished.

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

A close friend of mine is divorced and recently got a job after being a SAHM for 4 years.  Well really she's almost more of family now than just a friend.  We have known each other for 14 years.  The only way she could take this job is if someone kept her 4yr old little girl in the morning for about an hour before preschool starts.  Of course we were willing to help her out and do this.  Because she cannot miss for the first several months, the deal was her mom (the childs grandmother) would take off work if the child was sick.  Well now the kiddo is getting sick because she has never been around other little kids in that kind of setting.  The grandmother - who is a nurse - now doesn't want to miss work either, so they are sending her to school when she should really be home.  And if they are sending her to school, that means they are sending her to my house.  A month ago she had a nasty respiratory infection and ran a low grade fever for 4 days and they still sent her.  They sent her last week when she was nauseated and had vomited during the night with the stomach flu/body aches.  The kid was burning up with fever when they dropped her off yesterday and slept the entire time she was at our house before we had to wake her up and take her into school crying.  The grandmother reluctantly stayed home with her today but said she's fine to go to school tomorrow.  Well I just ran by their house to drop something off and that kid looks like hell.  Flushed, glassy eyed and listless.  And of course, everyone in my house gets it every time.  Fortunately we aren't getting it as bad as she gets it, but we are still getting it.  And what makes it worse is... when she offered to pay me for watching her kiddo, I told her she didn't have to pay me but occasionally bring me a frappe.  Not once has she brought me a frappe and we are 3 months into the school year!!!  She has hinted around a couple of times seeing if I would volunteer to take her little girl all day when she's sick rather than sending her to school, but hell... I don't want to take care of someone else's sick kid!  I don't like taking care of my own sick kids!!!  :P  I am pretty sure that this kiddo has some asthma/allergy issues going on and I have mentioned it several times that I need she needs to be on nebulized asthma meds, but they just shrug it off.  That really irks me because this effects us too!  

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
I understand you being upset. My sister has daycare kids and their moms.....well, they are interesting. One dropped her kid off with a 104 temp. My nephews both got sick. The mom of the kid would not "allow" my sister to give him meds. I do not understand some people!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I would be pretty ticked, to be honest. I think you need to firmly let her know that her DD cannot come over sick. I know you say she is a good friend....but a good friend doesn't treat a friend like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM

oh man. That's annoying. I'm so sorry.

karamille
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting BramblePatch:

I would be pretty ticked, to be honest. I think you need to firmly let her know that her DD cannot come over sick. I know you say she is a good friend....but a good friend doesn't treat a friend like that.

I know.  She needs to put her foot down with her mom and tell her she agreed to take off.  But she's still living with her mom (has been sicne the divorce) so I think she's hesitant to get firm with her since her mom has helped her out so much, etc...  Blah. 

ZakkarysMom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats crazy!

Quoting TerriC:

I understand you being upset. My sister has daycare kids and their moms.....well, they are interesting. One dropped her kid off with a 104 temp. My nephews both got sick. The mom of the kid would not "allow" my sister to give him meds. I do not understand some people!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Wow im sorry. That must be really frustrating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM

How frustrating!  It's easy to make plans in theory but then it's also easy to not follow through when push comes to shove.  Can you sit down with her and set some ground rules?  For example, she can't come over if she's had a fever/vomited within the past 24 hours, if she's obviously sick, etc - basic school rules.  I don't think that's asking too much, especially since you're doing it for free. Of course, I know that conversations like that are easier said than done :)

Good luck!!

egyptian_mommy
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM
That's rough. Poor kid. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM

tThis is an awful situation for everyone, mostly the poor little girl.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I would be absolutely livid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN